Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most aquarium stands don't seem to have full tops. Is there a reason for this or is it just cost saving? A friend is about to make me a stand and I thought a full top might be easier to keep level. The tank is 72X18X19 give or take a smidgen. Would the bottom flex enough to contact the top or the stand?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
They don't put a top on them because the tank sits on the edges of the frame not an entire flat surface. In other words its not needed and would only make the stand heavier. Although I have never checked I seriously doubt the bottom piece of glass would flex to the point on touching a flat surface. As fat as making it more level, its only gonna to be as level as the frame. A piece of wood on top wont level anything if one side of the stand is higher than the other. Now on my diy stand I put a piece of plywood on the bottom so my filters weren't sitting on the rug. Hope that all made sense.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rgr4475 said:
They don't put a top on them because the tank sits on the edges of the frame not an entire flat surface. In other words its not needed and would only make the stand heavier. Although I have never checked I seriously doubt the bottom piece of glass would flex to the point on touching a flat surface. As fat as making it more level, its only gonna to be as level as the frame. A piece of wood on top wont level anything if one side of the stand is higher than the other. Now on my diy stand I put a piece of plywood on the bottom so my filters weren't sitting on the rug. Hope that all made sense.
Yes. I understand and using the term level might have been the wrong word - flat is more what I meant. It is much easier keeping a solid piece of wood flat than a rectangle supported by cut pieces. Now I'm not sure I am making sense. In other words. if a corner is a bit high or low it can torque a tank seam. In any event, the only issue I could come up with that would be a problem for the tank was the possible flex.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If the edges don't fully support the tank, and there is corner to corner wobble, then that's a concern. Putting a piece on top of those edges and securing it down, won't correct that, unless you shim under the low corner(s). Otherwise, you'll have to shim or sand to raise or lower a corner or corners. How much flex a tank can take before cracking is hard to say, but I wouldn't subject it to any. I'd take the time to correct the stand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good points but I kinda got this off track with the square, level, flat discussion. The stand will be built correctly. The main issue I was pondering was since you don't see many solid top stands - is there a reason for that I should know about. rgr4475 suggested it came down to probably a weight issue with the stand.

I am leaning to a solid top stand but just making sure if there are any reason not to do that I should consider.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Since the tank is supported along the edges only (or should be), there's no need for solid top. It would do nothing but add cost. So, I'm sure that's the reason you don't see them. Just make sure it's designed so the tank can't slide off of those edges.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
They're just not necessary. The weight of the tank is supported by the edges. As prov said, it would add unnecessary cost that would then be passed along to you. I put a flat top on a 55 stand I built years ago. If I had to do it again, I definitely wouldn't do it again. Just adds more material to buy, measure, cut, etc...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Only reason I would ever make a stand with a solid top would depend on having a scrap of solid to use rather than buying something else new. If you collect enough wood scraps, sometimes you use them to get them out of the way. No other reason for me.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
A stand with a solid top will be more rigid corner to corner. Most commercial stand are built to carry all the weight on the four corners, and the transverse pieces are there to offer some stiffness to the structure. they are generally very light so that if they were to try and bow upwards, they would not damage the tank. the problem I see with this is that while the tank is capable of supporting itself, as it is essentially an open topped box beam, it would be preferable to not add stress to the structure so it only has to resist the force of the water it contains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.