Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Amazing looking piece of furniture.

Nothing beats the beauty of solid wood stands. I bought up a beat up solid oak stand with my 30G and strippped/sanded, restained it. Well worth the effort.

·
Registered
410 Posts
:drooling:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, the finishing post!!!

First I attached the drawer fronts using 4 screws...

Next came drilling the holes in the doors to accept the euro hinges...

Then attach the hinges. I don't like to see the hinges so I use Euro hinges, These happen to be Blum. They have tons of adjustment...

Here's a shot of the hinges with the mounting plates and the whole thing attached to the stand...

I make jigs to mount hardware, so the next few shots are of the jigs I used to mount the pulls and knobs...

A few door bumpers and it's ready to use....

Here are a few shots of the finished stand!!

I'll post more once I get it set up and add water! Remember this is going to be an Angel tank, so you can expect to see a bit of rock work, and lots of plants! I have to wait on lighting before I can get the plants put in, and as everyone here knows, lighting is expensive, so it may be a bit.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

RBFG

·
Registered
741 Posts
wow. that is top notch work.
it much be nice to all required tools when woodworking.
again great job on the stand.

is a canopy part of the plan?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I myself am one of those "overbuilders" you referred to earlier, however I am about to build a new stand because
A) I've learned a few tricks
B) My first attempt is ugly.

I have a question along the lines of overbuilding, I noticed that you left the back side of the stand open, Where does the stand get it's lateral support? I like the idea of putting a sheet of plywood on the back to give it more stability. Does the 1x6 you put on the back give it enough stability? I want my next attempt at a stand to be much less overkill. Just looking at your build it's obvious you know what you're doing, so if you could just clarify that for me.
Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The board on the back is 1 x 4, and it gives planty of support. Laterally, the stand is very stable, the sides are attached to the entire length of the face frame with glue and fasteners. The back rail as well as the base are also attached with glue and screws.

I have been building open back stands for years, and never had an issue. The only problem I have noticed with plywood back stands is that you have to drill holes for plumbing and wires. (I like canister filters usually). And if you use a sump, the plywood back can trap humidity.

There is no reason to NOT use a plywood back, so by all means, use one!

RBFG

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mel,

I will be building a custom canopy in a few weeks. I haven't decided on what I am going to do for lighting yet, and need to incorporate that into the design. I'll keep you posted!!

RBFG

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I just revisited this post! I still have not built a canopy, but will be doing so soon. The tank has been set up for quite a while, and I have been breeding angels in it. Still no lighting (yet) and no plants.

Remeber the small rails that I used to hold the tank up....still holding strong. Remember, I am not an advocate for 2x4 construction in aquarium stands, and this one uses 1x2's to hold the 40 gallons up.

RBFG

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hello all....

I was just re-visiting this post and thought I'd drop a note. I still have the stand in this build, and it is still holding a 40 breeder up perfectly. Never had an issue with the 1" x 2" vertical tank supports. Never did build a canopy for it....

RBFG

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.