Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
All kidding aside. You can keep one sunfish in a 46 gallon. It can make an excellent wet pet and even learn to eat out of your hand. I had a friend (years ago) who kept one. They have to be kept as a solo fish in that size tank because the little buggers are aggressive and will even kill a juvie largemouth bass. There is no way to keep a largemouth bass in that tiny tank and you most likely have a gar but not likely an alligator gar. What state are you in? Provide pics of the "bluegill & gar" and I can ID the species for you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I really don't think those type of fish are suitable for such a small tank. Not really aquarium fish at all.
Sunfish have been successfully kept in aquaria and even bred. Largemouth bass can be kept in very large tanks. Go to any Bass Pro Shop and look at the tank. There are various species of gar in FL & GA.
Lepisosteus platyrhincus AKA Florida Gar can get to 3 ft.
Atractosteus spatula AKA Alligator Gar can get over 10 ft.
Lepisosteus osseus AKA Long Nose Gar can get to 6 ft.
Lepisosteus oculatus AKA SpottedGar can get to 3 ft.
The 2 most commonly kept Gar in aquaria are the Spotted & Florida Gar. Both species swim a lot in their natural habitat & are ravenous predators & sloppy eaters. IMHO they should be left in the wild but people do keep them in aquariums. Due to their size a minimum tank would be @ 210 gallons with a very aggressive filtration system and water change schedule. Me I just prefer to play with them and watch them in the waterways behind my house where we also have some VERY BIG largemouth bass, a myriad of panfish, exotics, Killifish and catfish. I also have Peacock Bass at a nearby location. Again I just prefer to catch & release these guys.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Guess you will have to FEED these fish large quantities of FOOD....lol
Tony you got that right. Some people carry this to insanity and beyond though. Go check out Monster Fishkeepers Forum. Me; I'm not interested in the giant mess, expense and extra work that goes into keeping that kind of stuff. I'd rather just go look at it in the wild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts