Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the trick to see if a rock is safe for the aquarium?

I think it is something like poor vinegar on the rock and if it fizzles its not safe, otherwise its okay.

PS. These captcha's are completely F'ing ridiculous.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
There are myths about how to test to see if rocks are "safe", but no real tests. Vinegar would be one of the common myths out there.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
All rocks are safe in the aquarium. Yet alone there can be mishaps if u don't know what you are doing. Some rocks will lower PH and some will higher PH. When you pick your rocks do RESEARCH and find out what type they are, and if you can't find out post pictures on here and we will tell you. As far as CLEANING the rocks some people boil them but they are taking a chance. If a rock has an air pocket in it when it is boiled it can/will EXPLODE!!! This is why I take a clean and brand NEW grill brush and scrub the rock then rinse and repeat. If u feel the scrubbing is not enough u MAY want to bleach the rock just like you bleach ornaments in the aquarium.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Veins of metal are something to look out for.

Pouring vinegar to see if it fizzles is a check for carbonates. If you were keeping say discus, and needed a low ph/hardness, you wouldn't want these rocks as they will leach carbonates and buffer the ph up. They're desirable in a rift lake tank for the same reason.

I'd be wary of something that came from a home landscape, they may have been sprayed with herbicides and pesticides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts