Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My african cichlid tank is a 90G which has dimensions of 5 feet × 1.5 feet × 1.5 feet Stocking up my New Haps and Peacocks Tank

For filtration, there is a canister filter and an internal power filter. As a short term (and budget) fix for the hood, I bought a PVC flat sheet on which I mount a light.

Have put up some pictures of the tank to show the dimensions and space needed for the hoses and wires. I did extensive research on aquarium hoods and lights and am likely to order the Hygger Full Spectrum LED 32W light which is 116 cms long.

Really like the DIY ideas in these videos that I came across and would very much appreciate advice for my new aquarium hood.

More specifically, would be helpful to learn if anything other than wood can be used to build the hood and how to fix the Hygger light (or any other light appropriate for a 5 feet tank) to this new hood system.

Based on the suggestions, I will hire a contractor to build this for me as per the exact specs and design requirements.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,934 Posts
Have you thought of using PVC sheet for this build?
The guys in this DIY video are crafting out a reptile enclosure, but I could totally see using a lot of those build techniques for an aquarium hood/canopy,

Water proof. Light and strong. I'm actually kind surprised more stuff isn't built with it. Kind of nice that they aren't all using black PVC, as the guys in this video are making their enclosure white colored. And well, depending on if you can find it to purchase, I guess just about any color is possible with that stuff. :cool:

Reactions: akmeadow

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you thought of using PVC sheet for this build?
The guys in this DIY video are crafting out a reptile enclosure, but I could totally see using a lot of those build techniques for an aquarium hood/canopy,

Water proof. Light and strong. I'm actually kind surprised more stuff isn't built with it. Kind of nice that they aren't all using black PVC, as the guys in this video are making their enclosure white colored. And well, depending on if you can find it to purchase, I guess just about any color is possible with that stuff. :cool:
Hey @Auballagh cool video that, thanks!

Have always preferred the PVC sheets over wooden lids - big fan of their utility and minimalistic look.

I very much like the placement of the light in the videos I shared - not sure just how to achieve this if I opt for getting my new PVC hood with the Hygger light.

PVC lids do seem to be gaining popularity and traction. Came across this brand called Top Lids, seems pretty cool and inexpensive, but not practical for me to have shipped from the States - definitely worth taking a look for all members from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts