Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a water change last week, and so I unplugged my filters like I normally do. Well when I plugged them back in, my aqua clear just didn't come back on and I have no idea what the problem is. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Could be a stuck impeller (prop shaft). On most if not all AC's, the motor will unscrew from the housing allowing you to take out the impeller for cleaning.

·
Registered
509 Posts
GTZ said:
Could be a stuck impeller (prop shaft). On most if not all AC's, the motor will unscrew from the housing allowing you to take out the impeller for cleaning.
+1 this just happened to me this weekend. My AC50 just stopped working after a feeding (I switch it off during feeding).

I took it as a sign to clean my filter. I cleaned the motor and impeller, put it all back together and it fired right up.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Almost sure to be a stuck impeller. One of the good points of the little mag drive motors is that there are only two main parts. One is the coil of wire embedded in plastic stuff. Hard to break that. The other is the impeller which is pretty easy to stop turning if it gets algae buildup. When you have it plugged in and try to pull the impeller out, you should feel the pull of the coil. If you do, the cause about has to be the impeller as there is not much else there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Poke it with The bottom of a pen really quickly while plugged in and full of water and it should start. mine dose that too and i found that poking it with some thing will start it. And cleaning the Impeller starts it up too.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you are having problems, you should check the shaft for wear when you have the impeller out. When the shaft gets worn it allows the impeller to run off centre, which contributes to it's not wanting to restart. The shaft can be pulled out to check and is easily replaced if worn. It is cheaper than a new impeller.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hope you were able to fix the problem with your filter . On another note why do you turn off your AC filter at all ? I only shut mine down if I absolutely have to or if I need to clean out an accumulation of sand or debris. I have always just pulled the sponge and other media out with the tray, thats the benefit of this filters design :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I shut mine off at feeding because I'm using a plastic syringe to deliver ground up flake food to fry in shells.

I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to keep the filter flowing during a cleaning. I'd rather keep all the muck that gets dislodged from being washed into the tank and I'm not sure I could pull that off while the water was running.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you don't have one I suggest getting a fluval prefilter sponge and put it on the intake. They fit perfectly.

I picked one up at a major chain store. You can also buy knock offs online as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts