Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got a new AquaClear 110 that I'm seeding with blue bonded filter material from another established HOB. I was planning to ultimately replace the blue material with the BioMax ceramic rings insert which came with the AquaClear. Should I bother doing this, however, or should I rather just stick with the blue bonded stuff? Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Personally I'd use both, should be plenty of room. I use one of the large sponges in mine on the bottom of the basket with a mesh bag of ceramic rings on top.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Agreed, float that bag of biomax on top. It should fit and start getting some bacteria on it. I have 4 media types in my AC 110 right now.

As long as water isn't coming down near the intake you haven't over stuffed your media basket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'll go ahead and add it to the filter. Instructions say to change the thing every few months, but I can't imagine why it would be necessary to ever change it: the medium is ceramic, so shouldn't it last indefinitely...? I'd think rinsing out the accumulated muck in a bucket of discarded tank water every few weeks would be fine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Boytjie said:
Thanks! I'll go ahead and add it to the filter. Instructions say to change the thing every few months, but I can't imagine why it would be necessary to ever change it: the medium is ceramic, so shouldn't it last indefinitely...? I'd think rinsing out the accumulated muck in a bucket of discarded tank water every few weeks would be fine.
The only thing I figure is they want to sell more ceramic bio media. It will last forever. Just rinse it in tank water every once in a while and you are set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.