Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering adding filtration on my 125G to help with polishing the water and the deeper bio matter. My tanks have surface siphon to sumps. I have plenty of current so the bio load stirs but usually doesn't make it to the surface.

I have heard of packing HOB filters with floss and using them as a polisher and added filtration. AC 110's have been suggested.

Here is the question. I need to know how deep the pick-up tube goes on the AC 110's. I want to get down about 17" give or take. In addition, is it possible to make some sort of extension on the 110 pick-up to adjust the depth?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
AC gives you like 2 6inch long pick-up tubes as for the 110 i think they are alot longer probably 20inches long both put together... either way you can buy extra pick up tubes if the ones provided ones are not the size you would want them to be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was doing more research and actually found they sell extension tubes for the AC 110. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just measured one of mine that is using both extension tubes that come with the filter. From the very top of the aquarium to the very bottom of the intake stainer is 14". The extension tubes are 6 inches but since they slide over an existing tube it will actually extend about another 4 1/2". So adding a third extension tube would put you at about 18 1/2" from the very top of the aquarium to the very bottom of the intake strainer.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Watch that you don't suck sand off the bottom into the impeller. Some filter the water first, some don't. Sand in the impeller can be fatal to the impeller. Spong prefilter, maybe?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to use one to polish the water and pull out more of the bio matter low in the water column. I'm not even sure I will use the media that comes with the unit. I might cram it full with filter floss or something. Need to do more research on this idea.

I am not sure how long the extension tube is but have one ordered. I could easily see putting a sponge over the intake. I don't want the pick-up on the bottom but few inches above that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts