Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface:
Not a huge aquarium guy, doing the fish thing as an easy way to keep pets.
I was given three convicts from a friend roughly 15 years ago.
All but one died, the remaining convict I named Hannibal (get it?)
About two months ago I picked up two more convicts, Jamal and TT (Tiny Tim).
Current:
Three weeks ago Hannibal finally kicked the toilet, looooong life.
Since his departure, and finally getting pea gravel for their 75 gallon tank, I moved TT and Jamal into a small 20 gallon tank that was used for re-arranging/water changed.
Uhh-ohh:
About a week ago I noticed a strange black pulsating cloud in the bottom of the tank....either Jamal is a Shanequa, or Tiny Tim is a Tiny Tina. The fry are now swimming 3/4 up in the tank, I can visibly see them eating finly crushed flake food. I would estimate there to be around 50-60 babies.
Main question:
At what size do the fry have to be in order to move everyone, Jamal, TT and the babies back into their 75 gallon tank? I know with that many fish creating waste, its just a matter of time untill the Emperor 280 wont be able to keep up with it. *** been gravel vaccing on the opposite side of the tank every couple days.
Bonus ?:
I currently have my 75 setup with a UGF, with powerheads at the uptake tube end. I even put a bead of silicone on the bottom of the grates, to provide a better seal...If I want these guys to breed again, ditch the UGF? Or just plant a clay pot or something in the tank for them as well? Filter setup on both tanks are Emperor filters, 400 for the 75 gallon, 280 for the 20 (both models are adjustable flow rates, on the 75 its full bore and on the 20 its on level 2)

All/any information about any of my topcis would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Main question:
At what size do the fry have to be in order to move everyone, Jamal, TT and the babies back into their 75 gallon tank? I know with that many fish creating waste, its just a matter of time untill the Emperor 280 wont be able to keep up with it. I've been gravel vaccing on the opposite side of the tank every couple days.
Any time would be fine. Eventually the pair will dispose of the fry in order to make more. Over the course of the existence of the tank and keeping the pair in it and all of their fry every time they spawn... I'd be suprised if 10 survived to adulthood.

Bonus ?:
I currently have my 75 setup with a UGF, with powerheads at the uptake tube end. I even put a bead of silicone on the bottom of the grates, to provide a better seal...If I want these guys to breed again, ditch the UGF? Or just plant a clay pot or something in the tank for them as well? Filter setup on both tanks are Emperor filters, 400 for the 75 gallon, 280 for the 20 (both models are adjustable flow rates, on the 75 its full bore and on the 20 its on level 2)

All/any information about any of my topcis would be greatly appreciated!
Personally I would lose the UGF and pick up another 400. The intakes also have the capability to suck up fry. So keep that in mind.

Convicts are not worth much and you will have difficulty finding homes for them. I'd suggest just letting things go and enjoy the pair and their parental care. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*** been debating on getting a second 400. My thought process with the UGF was that if you can get them to seal properly with the silicone, the power heads will actually cause a vaccuum in the grate itself, leading to more efficent use of the UGF. I've also been looking at ways of running a RUGF tube system to create currents around deco in the tank. From what I can tell from reading several websites on UGF's, either people love them or hate them. For a cheap bio filter it cant be beat I guess. I plan to maybe have 20 fish total, nothing too crazy. I would love to get a group of convicts and a group of angel fish in the same tank, even setup a theme on each side (imagine a prison break scene).

Kinda on the same newbie topic, I built a tank stand from green treated pine. 2X6" all around, still have yet to finish the outside. The stand is completely level, but my basement floor has a slope in it (for potential water leak drainage). I dont have an exact measurement of what degree the slope is, would putting the 75G tank on the stand put any extra strain on the seals/tank itself? Currently the tank is sitting on a blanket on the ground.

"Any time would be fine. Eventually the pair will dispose of the fry in order to make more. Over the course of the existence of the tank and keeping the pair in it and all of their fry every time they spawn... I'd be suprised if 10 survived to adulthood. "
That is a sad thought! They seem to be excellent parents, every time I enter the room they suck a few in their mouths and spit them out in the divit they dug out until I leave.
"Personally I would lose the UGF and pick up another 400. The intakes also have the capability to suck up fry. So keep that in mind. "
Would putting a pre screen filter on the outside of the strainer be worth while?

Ultimatly, I would rather setup the tank ONCE the correct way, rather than keep messing with it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Problem is that all the crudd sits under the UG plate where you can never clean it. Even plain gravel holds waste under it and as you know, needs to be deep vacuumed regularly.

The more modern approach is to use sand, where the debris sits on top of it to be sucked up by the filter(s) or easily vacuumed off the top.

I was old school like you and used UG and pea gravel. Now I swithed to Pool filter sand and it is so much easier to clean and keep the nitrates in check. Food doesnt fall through the cracks and rot and all gets eaten.

...Bill

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Ok, cons and angels will not work. The cons will kill them once they spawn.

If you're looking to create something to keep debris from settling read this:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

The best way to stop fry from getting sucked up is to wrap the in-take pre-screen with a sponge. or you could even use one of the replacement cartriges from in the filter.

I can't stress enough that when I say sponge I mean sponges for aquarium use. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, I'll be able to post pictures tomorrow.
My question is in regards to sexing my convicts.

I have the two (plus 100ish fry now).

Jamal/Shanequa is larger in size, not greatly defined colorwise.
Tiny Tim/Tina is significantly smaller, but SUPER defined stripes.
Neither fish have a defined orangish belly covering to them. They both seem to have an orangish hue around their gill/front fin area. Nothing like what you see in pictures though.
One thing to note; it seems like TT is hovering over the fry much more often than the larger convict. I'm assuming TT is the female. Thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pardon the water spots on the outside of the tank. Hit it with a wet rag before the pictures.

Worked, but still have to click on them to show full size.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I'm beating a horse here, please let me know.

NOT a huge deal, but I've noticed during feeding times (just before and just after) that both parents are...sucking the fry in then spitting them out. Not carrying them anywhere, just suck in - spit out.
Assuming this is normal...are they cleaning them or something?

It's quite nice just watching them, but if I remain for too long the parents start trying to tail slap me though the tank!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Generally, if the parents think the fry are straying too far away is when I see them suck the fry in and spit them out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey hey,

Well, I now am a proud grandparent of.....70-80something baby convicts.
I've found a few to take roughly 20 off my hands, still talking with local private stores about taking another 10-20 off my hands (hopefully more).

I've picked up a second Emperor 400 HOB filter, have my 75 gallon tank cycled.
Currently there are 2 plecos in the tank. Any suggestions on a "proper" way to move the fry from their current severly-over-stocked 20 gallon into the 75 with an attempt to keep the stress low?
Thought about netting, or sending them on a CRAZY siphon run (upstairs to the basement).

I was playing with this website (fish stocking calculator)
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php? ... hUnit=inch
Lets say that I keep the parents, and approx 30-40 fry.....is my 75 gallon too small?
I was looking on craigslist and theres another 75 gallon for an extremely reasonable price. I'm thinking if I were to even split the parents and somewhere between 15-20 fry in each; the tank might eventually become infested with babies again (hopefully not anytime soon!).

Ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have to net my fry cause they are to strong of swimmers. Just vacuum up some water from tank into bucket and net them. The rest is up to you. Do want to keep the fry? If so just get a grow out tank. If not leave em in with the parents. They will kill most em off eventually . Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts