Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one M. estherae that has been swimming very "wiggly" for a couple of months now and sometimes rests on the bottom. It appears to be a swim bladder issue. Not sure what caused it.

I had her on 6' 125g tank, now have moved her to a 4' 75g tank where I can keep a closer eye on her. I have hard well water, no chlorine. I sometimes add salt and stress coat. I have had both tanks set up for about three years with mixed Mbuna and have had no problems until now. I have done 25% to 50% water changes once a week until a few months back, now mostly once every two weeks. All other fish in all other tanks are fine. I feed all the fish NLS and spiralina flakes. I recently added more of the same fish I had before just to prevent aggression.

In the 125g I have mostly M.estherae, Maingano, Acei, M. hajomaylandi along with a few Chewere elongatus, L.Permutts. one Williamsi blue lips and multipuctatus.

In the 75g I have C. Jalo reef, rusties, yellow labs, multipunctatus. Recently added the one oddball M. estherae in questions one oddball Chewere that was being harrasssed.

Despite the problem she is still a very strong swimmer with a hearty appetite. She shows no other signs of disease that I can tell. Do you think it's ok to leave in the tank with my other fish? Should I euthanize her?

·
Registered
767 Posts
When a fish has apparent health issues, moving it from tank to tank isn't a wise choice. It's not worth taking a chance on spreading something to the others. If it were mine, I would kill it. A weak fish is always a weak fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts