Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to do anything to my water as far as ph/hardness for apistogrammas? Or can they just be kept in regular tap water?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The only apistogramma species I have had success with in "regular" tap water has been line bred cacatuoides. Every other apisto species I have kept and bred has needed soft water, acidic water.

There is no such thing as regular tap water. Everyones tap water is different. Some people are lucky and have soft water with a low PH which is easy to adjust to suite soft water fish. Many people however have nuetral to high PH water with varing degrees of hardness from "no need to add starch to the clothes washing machine" to "liquid rock".

Find out what your local waters values are for a start and let us know. If you do not have test kits, ask your LFS, as every LFS should know what their tap water values are. Or check out your city councils web site as many will list the water values, including PH and hardness.

As for me, I use two thirds rain water and one third tap water for my soft water fish. I know my LFS and our most respected hobbyist breeder use 100% rain water for all their wild caught soft water fish. Locally, we all use ketapang leaves to acidify our water, and many also use peat or sphagnum moss.

·
Registered
796 Posts
DeadFishFloating said:
The only apistogramma species I have had success with in "regular" tap water has been line bred cacatuoides. Every other apisto species I have kept and bred has needed soft water, acidic water.

There is no such thing as regular tap water. Everyones tap water is different. Some people are lucky and have soft water with a low PH which is easy to adjust to suite soft water fish. Many people however have nuetral to high PH water with varing degrees of hardness from "no need to add starch to the clothes washing machine" to "liquid rock".

Find out what your local waters values are for a start and let us know. If you do not have test kits, ask your LFS, as every LFS should know what their tap water values are. Or check out your city councils web site as many will list the water values, including PH and hardness.

As for me, I use two thirds rain water and one third tap water for my soft water fish. I know my LFS and our most respected hobbyist breeder use 100% rain water for all their wild caught soft water fish. Locally, we all use ketapang leaves to acidify our water, and many also use peat or sphagnum moss.
How true. My tap has a ph of 7.9 with a gh of 14. So I keep african cichlids because its a major hassle to keep soft water fish. I used to have discus 15 yrs ago. Even bred them but I'd burn thru cartridges for the water deionizer from aquarmium pharm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts