Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a breeding pair of Apisto Cacautoides in a 32 gallon tank and a pair of dark knights in a 33 long... both community heavily planted tanks. I am looking in downsizing to having only one tank, so I bought a rimless 64 gallon. I know they say rams need warmer waters, but I have been keeping both tanks at 23-24c / 73-75F and all fish are thriving. Would these guys kill each other in one tank? BTW the tank dimensions are 48x18x18

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I would think in that larger tank you are moving everyone in to, those species should get along just fine. I would just put everyone into the new aquarium at the same time, to minimize territorial issues as much as possible.
I AM a little mystified as to how you have been so successful keeping the Rams at those low temps. The Apistos, not so much. But, if it's working and your Rams seem healthy and happy? Why not?
It might be a good idea to initially buff up the heat a bit in the new tank when first introducing your Cichlids into it, though. Doing so, may help to minimize initial stress for the first few days - esp. for the Rams. Then when things seem to be working out, just dial the heat back down a little at a time, until it's set for the cooler temps you're keeping them at now.
-
Send pics! Your new. larger aquarium sounds like it's gonna be very cool looking! 8)

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Doooooood.... oh man, your new tank is awesome! It's righteous!! :eek:
Seriously, I am a HUGE fan of anyone who will place structure in an aquarium..... all the way to the water's surface. (Plant a little tuft of Mondo Grass or something on that exposed wood - you will freak people out).
-
Well done man, that is great work. Your new tank looks just beautiful!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Rams won't be thriving at those temperatures. They'll look good because colours get brighter in the cold, but they won't be thriving.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ichthys said:
The Rams won't be thriving at those temperatures. They'll look good because colours get brighter in the cold, but they won't be thriving.
I agree. Raise the temperature to 80°F and everybody will be happy. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts