Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a proven pair of Apistogramma atahualpa coming in next week. I plan to introduce them into a 5ft tank with sub adult L. Dorsigera and keyhole cichlids.

Are the atahualpa as aggressive as they are made out to be? Will I have trouble with the female wanting to kill the male?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
not in a 5ft tank... the females don't want to kill the male. There is a set of behaviors in Apistogramma between the male and female that is altered by the artificial confines of a glass cage but the larger the tank, the more that these little cichlids can act normally.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I want to pull some fry to raise, should I remove the female and the fry from the main tank or just the fry?

Whats the best method of doing it?

Is Atahualpa a harder species to find?

Are they a harem spawning speices?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does a certain temp or PH give specific ratios of male and female in fry?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
ahud said:
Does a certain temp or PH give specific ratios of male and female in fry?
Yup, sure do.

If you can find a copy of Cichlid Atlas 1 by Dr. Uwe Romer, there is a large section towards the front that discusses the effects of PH and water temperature have on sex development and ratio in fry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Try to keep the fry with the female, they rely heavily on her for signals which tell them when its safe to forage and when to hide if you separate them your fry survival rate drops drastically. I keep my females with the fry for no less than 3 weeks which at that time she should be ripe for another spawn and ready to be placed back with the male.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts