Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much discussion with the guy at the LFS, I am hopeful I ended up with a male and a female. Would the experts please weigh in?

male (pretty sure)

female (hopefully)

They are quite shy at the moment, so this was the best I could get. If the pictures are not clear enough, what should I be looking for to determine if the second fish is indeed female?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
The top is 100% no mistaking it male...

the bottom is a 99.999% male as well.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
in a non breeding female the tail would be rounded, no showy colored fins, etc.
When they get into breeding dress, they are the classic yellow/black combo of apisto girls.

I would not be surprised if the LFS has a tank full of males only... it's very common.

·
Registered
678 Posts
See if you can get a hold of Michael Barber I believe he's still president of the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society, he lives somewhere on your side of the continent, I want to say Maryland or DC. He spoke at our fish club in March, it was a very good presentation, he brought along a couple bags of F1 Apistograma Agassizii. He's been breeding wild stock for a while now and I'm sure if anybody would have females it would be him. I've got at least 3 females, maybe 4 (I can't quite tell yet) but I'm not ready to part with them and shipping costs from the west coast would be pretty high anyway.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kornphlake

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look him up. I have been to a couple of PVAS meetings in the last few years.

I defifnitely agree that shipping from the west coast would be rather prohibitive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.