Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up 6 apisto. viejita "gold" from my lfs--I see a listing for viejita, but not for the gold variety. They almost look like albino but they have normal color eyes. They are a very pretty yellow gold over all with no other markings. Does anybody know anything about a "gold" variety??? The guy at the lfs said that his apisto breeder to his knowledge does not do anything special with the local water; here it is moderately hard with a pH of about 7.2...

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is just a color morph of the fish known in the hobby as viejita. IN fact, the fish that are so commonly sold as viejita are actually not that species. The true viejita has rarely been imported and is different than the fish in the hobby which most experts consider to be selectively bred macmasteri.

That being said, the various strains of aquarium viejita are relatively easy to raise. Treat them like any Apisto and you should have success. The gold morph is the result of careful line breeding and they should breed true for you. Their colors are a result of their genes and not any environmental factor. This color form was originally developed in Eastern Europe and the fish lists from the major suppliers there usually list them as available.

DC

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am assuming the fish came from Fantastic Fins. If this is true then the fish could either be Viejita "gold" or Macmasteri "gold". They get there fish from a guy near me and he breeds both fish (paid him a visit recently). the only reliable way to tell Viejita from Macmasteri is to look at the shape of the caudal fin, in Viejita it is rounded and in Macmasteri it is more squared. Either way if they grow to look like the parents they will be awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info fishguy28----I do have another question, I've noticed that the above mentioned apistos are very reclusive and shy...They tend to hide under leaves of my sword plant or under driftwood in the tank. They kind of just stay in place and sit on the leaves. They do seem to feed and will swim around on occasion, but these are by far the most docile cichlids I've ever seen. They're in a planted 20 long with 4 young sword tails and 3 pristella tetras. Should i be worried about their inactivity or will they become more social over time???

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wouldn't worry about their shyness as i am guessing they are around an inch and a half long. Just make sure they have plenty of hiding places, they tend to be pretty standoffish when they mature. I would look into a bigger tank if you intend to keep them all together in the future they can reach four inches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts