Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said it before and I'll say it again: the API test kits are garbage. I have two API Nitrate test kits. Neither of them is anywhere near its expiration date. One of them yields a result of 10-20ppm. The other yields a result of 40-80ppm. Worthless! Might as well just ask the fish what the nitrate level is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree! I was reading nitrates around 80ppm!!! 30 out of my tap with API! A friend had read how inaccurate the nitrate test was and said use the local fish shop version. I did exactly that and my nitrates were in fact around 5-10ppm and from my tap like 2.5. API master kit for nitrates is garbage

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree! I was reading nitrates around 80ppm!!! 30 out of my tap with API! A friend had read how inaccurate the nitrate test was and said use the local fish shop version. I did exactly that and my nitrates were in fact around 5-10ppm and from my tap like 2.5. API master kit for nitrates is garbage
What do you recommend to test nitrate then? I have the API test kit, but would love to get something accurate for nitrate, especially as I am planning a cichlid tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I use the API kit and have not had a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
I've never had a problem with the API brand of test kits, always accurate enough for aquarium purposes. I've found the usual problem is not cleaning/rinsing the test tubes after use and not shaking the bottles properly as per directions. The test kit should have an expiration date and you should use any opened product within 1 year for accurate results.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine was way out. So I use a brand called aqua care which is a hole brand of maindehead aquatics here in the Uk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts