Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
besides from the extremely close colors being a pain... :lol: does anyone have some of the water come out while shaking it? or is there somthing wrong with my lids?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Some of the bottles are labelled "corrosive," "irritant" and "harmful." It's not a bad idea to wear a glove to avoid getting the leakage on your hands (I have boxes of latex gloves I picked up for another application. I just reuse the same one when testing till it gets worn out enough to replace). If you use enough paper towel or a clean rag, that would do the trick too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yup. I think there must be a gas generated from the reaction.

-Ryan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow.. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I actually sent an email to API complaining about the leaky vials, but I haven't heard back from them yet. If I do, I'll let you all know what they say.

I seem to only have a problem with leaks when I'm testing for Nitrates, and I have to shake for a long time. I started using paper towels to wrap the vial up when I shake it, I was tired of getting splatter everywhere.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I called and complained; they said they would replace the vials.

I have 2 that don't leak like that. I have 2 that do. Haven't tried my other 2 yet.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A test seems to be when adding reagent #1 and mixing, no leaks. When adding the second chemical and shaking it starts to leak a little. That suggests that there's a little gas released from the reaction.

No biggie IMHO. I think all of mine leak a little.

-Ryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haven't had this problem yet luckily. I did notice API is located in Chalfont PA which is minutes from my house :lol: I'll know where to go if I have a problem :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I'll take that back. Bought a nitrate test kit today and when I shook it, it might as well been like I never put the top on. :oops:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just picked up a masterkit today and tested out all the vials while marking them for their functions. didn't get a single leak. maybe it's luck of the draw concerning the lids.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've only ever had a problem with leaking on the nitrate test. I just wrap a napkin or paper towel around it while I shake it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts