Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an API Saltwater Master Test Kit that I'd like to use to test the water in a newly established AC tank. I wouldn't think the absence of salt would negatively effect the test results. I hate to assume without some confirmation.

Thank you in advance to any and all responses.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Most freshwater test kits have different color charts than salt. That may skew your readings a bit. I would think there might be other items as well. I might take some readings and see if they look natural and go from there. A set of freshwater 5-in-1 strips is less than ten dollars at Wally world.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One difference between salt and freshwater test kits is ph range. Since I'm going with an African cichlid tank thought I might get lucky since the ph ranges are similar.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I checked their MSDS sheets on the API web site. The ingredients are the same for all of them (High Ph, Nitrate 1 &2, Nitrite and Ammonia)

·
Registered
219 Posts
PfunMo said:
Most freshwater test kits have different color charts than salt.
I contacted API just to be sure. Their respone:

"...the reagents in the salt and fresh water kits are the same and can be used in either environments. You will need different color cards however because the saltwater color cards are different from the freshwater color cards. You can get a replacement set of cards by sending in a $2 check to:

Mars Fishcare
50 East Hamilton Street
Chalfont, PA 18914
Attention: Brian in Technical Services

Include a brief letter stating the type of color cards that you need and include your return mailing address. Once we receive your letter a set of color cards will be sent in the mail. The $2 will cover shipping and handling for the color cards."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much FishFlake for the time and energy you expended as it relates to the question I posed.

I was beginning to doubt some of the results I have been getting recently with the salt turned freshwater test kit. The nitrite card specifically says fresh or saltwater while the other three only say saltwater.

I will mail the letter tomorrow. Once again thank you for your effort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts