Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 45 gallon tank that is currently set up with 8 yellow labs and 3 danios is getting some new inhabitants on Friday.

I ordered online from one of the retailers in the reviews section. We are getting demasoni and some red zebra (I know about the red zebra and the labs)

I asked the retailer to send me the smaller fish rather than larger and he said he would since my labs are all relatively small still.

What do I need to know about adding an addition 16 fish to my tank? Will they be okay? What about the fact that the fish will have been in the mail for 2 days? Will I need to treat for anything? I haven't got a hospital tank and would rather be pro-active than re-active.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Make sure you acclimate them slowly. Put the incoming fish in a bucket next to your tank or in your tank without submerging it. Add a bubbler to the bucket while acclimating and add a cupfull or two of water from the tank to the bucket every few minutes. when you are at about 80% tankwater in the bucket you should be safe to net the fish and put them in the main tank.

Other solutions to minimize loss: add some salt to the tank and lower the lights for a few days while everyone gets to know each other.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

You might want to consider a quarantine tank for the newcomers. Not to treat them for anything, but rather to observe them for illness so they don't infect your labs.

If you are going to add 16 fish all at once to a tank that has had 11 in there, you will want to add bio spira or bacteria from another tank that is already cycled.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Did you order 16 red zebras to put in a 45G tank?

Kim

·
Registered
712 Posts
tannable75 said:
Make sure you acclimate them slowly. Put the incoming fish in a bucket next to your tank or in your tank without submerging it. Add a bubbler to the bucket while acclimating and add a cupfull or two of water from the tank to the bucket every few minutes. when you are at about 80% tankwater in the bucket you should be safe to net the fish and put them in the main tank.

Other solutions to minimize loss: add some salt to the tank and lower the lights for a few days while everyone gets to know each other.
Acclimating in that manner has proved to be dangerous to your fish. They have been in their bag water for 2 days producing ammonia through respiration and excretion. Meanwhile, the pH in the bag water has dropped making the ammonia less harmful. As soon as you start adding tank water, and thus increasing the pH again, the ammonia instantly becomes very harmful and can lead to death if the levels are high enough. There have been threads about this on this website and others that give more detailed information if you need it.

Instead, merely float the bags for 15-20 minutes to equalize the water temperatures and then add the fish to the aquarium. Do not add any bag water to your aquarium as there are "bag buddies" or other chemicals in it. Either pour the bag water/fish into your net over a bucket or if you have a small enough net, net them directly out of the bag and into your aquarium.

I think you know a quarantine tank is the best option. A used 10/20 gallon tank costs next to nothing on craigslist or in the classifieds. This would be the best option. If you just can't do this for whatever reason, I would suggest keeping the tank dark as much as possible (if I remember correctly you have a few live plants, and this complicates issues) and feeding very sparingly, if at all for the first few days. If you can get some bio-spira that would help with the bacteria issue, and you wouldn't have to worry about reducing your feedings as much- although I do it as a precaution, anyways, since the fish are stressed and I don't want bloat to pop up.

You're likely to encounter issues with the estherae. I had issues apleanty in a four foot tank, so I can't imagine the male(s) lasting long in your tank without creating problems. With the rock work you have set up the demasoni will likely be fine, as long as you're not too male heavy.

Good Luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
DNK said:
cichlidaholic said:
Did you order 16 red zebras to put in a 45G tank?

Kim
I would have thought Shill meant something like 10-12 Demasoni and the rest Zebras.
Sorry, I missed the demasoni! :oops:

The red zebras may be too much aggression wise for this size tank. You'll really have to stay on top of things and be ready to remove them if necessary.

Good luck!

Kim

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
mittzgame said:
Acclimating in that manner has proved to be dangerous to your fish. They have been in their bag water for 2 days producing ammonia through respiration and excretion. Meanwhile, the pH in the bag water has dropped making the ammonia less harmful. As soon as you start adding tank water, and thus increasing the pH again, the ammonia instantly becomes very harmful and can lead to death if the levels are high enough. There have been threads about this on this website and others that give more detailed information if you need it.
I agree with this - and have heard it myself. Very good point to make Mittzgame! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've never thought of the ph issue before but it makes sense. I've been doing the "add tank water" method for years as it is a "requirement" from my retailer in order to get their guarantee. I would think that an instantaneous jump from bag ph to tank ph buy just putting them in there would be a danger to ph shock just and be potentially as harmful as the ammonia in the bag. Here's the instructions I get with every order: http://www.petsolutions.com/article.aspx?id=110

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.