Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stand is not perfectly flat. There are a couple of spots where it's off by less than 1/32". I was going to use styrofoam but then found some 1" wide foam weatherstripping. It's about 3/8." Would this be sufficient to help flatten out the surface?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If those spots are not in the corners, you can disregard it. As long as the tank doesn't wobble from corner to corner when on the stand, it's fine. It doesn't need full support along every inch of the frame.

HTH

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the spots is a corner that's off by less than 1/32 of an inch. I know that it's not recommended to shim the tank itself and that I shouldn't just leave it the way it is. Any other suggestions to fix this? Would styrofoam be enough?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've used thin foam to correct this, as I build a lot of tank racks out of 2x4's, and they're never perfect. There's an insulating foam that comes on a roll. It's about 4" wide or so and about 1/8" thick, and I"ve seen it in blue or pink. I used thick stuff once and regret it because the tanks may compress one side more than the other and throw the thing out of level.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing the 3/8" thick weatherstripping (1" wide) wouldn't do the trick since nobody seems to be using it. As I've looked at it more I've also noticed that's it's not as dense as styrofoam and would probably compress too much.

Is there any reason not to put some veneer stripping (or something even thinner) between the stand and the styrofoam to try eliminate the 1/32" gap under the corner (or is this unnecessary)?

Also, what's the best way to determine that there is no twisting of the tank due to unevenness of the stand? The tank does not rock but I also notice that the glass on one end of the tank is not perfectly even at the bottom with the front sheet so I'm having some doubts. I put the tank on the stand and put enough water to go past the bottom trim. The tank is off level from side to side (72" tank) by 1/6" but it's off side to side by the same amount in the front and back. Is that sufficient indication that it's not twisting?

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious but I've never set up such a big tank before.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hey Zimmy.
I have used the dense styrofoam sm (the pink or blue stuff) and found that it hardly compresses at all. I usually use the regular white stuff now as it will allow the tank to settle into it where necessary. I wouldn't bother trying to shim between the stand and the tank (the 1/32" gap), but I personally would try to get the stand as level as possible with cedar shims (although 1/16" is pretty much there allready). If the stand is sitting flat, there will be no twisting, it's only if you were to crank up one corner that it would twist. P.S, you'r going to love that big Eheim. The Trophs are calling.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jimring said:
How big are the areas where the stand is 1/32 short?
Can you fill those areas with some sort of wood filler?
They're about 4-6" long. The one corner is what has me most worried. The tank is in a tight area and the problem corner is in the back so it's hard to get a precise measurement of how off it is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How about covering the top with a sheet of plywood?
You could glue and screw it down, with liquid nails which would fill in the gaps pretty well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used felt weatherstripping in the past with good results. About an inch or so wide, maybe 3/16" thick, didn't compress down as much as the foam stripping. Glued it to the top of the stand with white glue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts