Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to make the switch to sand. In doing so i am going to install egg crat and an UGJ system. I have a few questions.

I was considering cutting out slotts in my egg crate for the UGJ pipes.....WOuld you recomend this or to just lay it on top?

How do you stir the sand once a month in order to get rid of the gasses with the egg crate? In between each square is sand that will never get touched?

Also what about fish like my Front that is constantly digging? Wont he throw the sand in the UGJ pathway and get thrown into the water and sucked into my filter?
Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do cut holes in the egg crate for the UGJ, the UGJ will slide around, and you'd have to make a deep sand bed, which can cause other problems.

The jets shouldn't be so powerful they can stir the sand high enough to get into your filters when fish dig, but its possible.

Raise your intake tubs and/or put a sponge prefilter on them just in case. I'd also choose sand wisely, I got PFS, much recommended on this site, and I would say it is great. Nice medium even grain, natural, and heavy, it sinks fast, so much less risk to filters.

I don't have the egg crate so I can't say, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the small amount of sand you can't stir that gets stuck in the egg crate. If you clean the entire tank out once a year, your probably fine.

I am about to do this setup as well. I tested my setup in a 20 gallon with the sand and UGJ, works FANTASTIC. See here http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=169723 In my big tank I will do egg crate, because I will have MUCH more rock. that could fall.

Good luck.

G

·
acrosstic said:
Do cut holes in the egg crate for the UGJ, the UGJ will slide around, and you'd have to make a deep sand bed, which can cause other problems.

The jets shouldn't be so powerful they can stir the sand high enough to get into your filters when fish dig, but its possible.

Raise your intake tubs and/or put a sponge prefilter on them just in case. I'd also choose sand wisely, I got PFS, much recommended on this site, and I would say it is great. Nice medium even grain, natural, and heavy, it sinks fast, so much less risk to filters.

I don't have the egg crate so I can't say, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the small amount of sand you can't stir that gets stuck in the egg crate. If you clean the entire tank out once a year, your probably fine.

I am about to do this setup as well. I tested my setup in a 20 gallon with the sand and UGJ, works FANTASTIC. See here http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=169723 In my big tank I will do egg crate, because I will have MUCH more rock. that could fall.

Good luck.
wats PFS ????

·
Registered
43 Posts
I made my USJ system to fit the inside diameter of the tank, leaving about 1/4 inch all the way around, so that i can fill it in with sand. The egg crate is cut to fit inside the closed loop system, and their are slots cut where the jets go so that i have more movement so that i can aim the jets better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
PFS is Pool Filter Sand.

That design above looks good, although you don't seem to have any jets in the center of the tank, but perhaps you don't need them, I can't tell what size the tank is from the pics.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I would rinse it usually, then change it occasionally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts