Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sand came with the used system I recently bought. It was in a saltwater tank and I was told it was originally bought as live sand. I am using it in a Tropheus tank and was curious what it was.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Looks like live sand from my old reef tank. It just comes pre colonized with bacteria. Boil it well and it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
looks like some carib sea aragontie with the black rocks in it.... I have it in one of my reefs

·
Registered
705 Posts
looks like a nice little addition. i second the boil reccomend. anything saltwater needs to be boiled for quite awhile and rinsed in between to help pull out any of the organic materials. gl to you either way

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd toss it and start fresh. If you're doing trophs its probably a largish tank so it's probably a lot of sand. How are you going to boil a lot of sand? One pot at a time? Spend 20 bucks and get pool filter sand or $ and get aragonite.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I am using it in a Tropheus tank and was curious what it was.
He's currently using this. I don't see the need to boil it. Organics, if any left, aren't going to hurt anything. Not the small amounts that might be there.

Nice looking sand, btw. Do you have a tank pic?

Just my .02

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
prov356 said:
I am using it in a Tropheus tank and was curious what it was.
He's currently using this. I don't see the need to boil it. Organics, if any left, aren't going to hurt anything. Not the small amounts that might be there.

Nice looking sand, btw. Do you have a tank pic?

Just my .02
Hi Tim.

If all goes well I am starting the tank setup today. The sand has been washed and dried several times in freshwater and has been sitting in the sun for weeks on my patio. I am not too worried about organics. I have 4 half full 5G buckets of this stuff on the patio. I am not sure how much I will need is why I was looking for a match. If it is not enough I will probably get some pool filter sand and mix the two (maybe). I think it will probably be enough however. I might even siphon some sand out of my Mbuna tank to get some help with the cycling. I have way too much sand in that tank.

I will post pictures when I get things arranged. I might ask for help with the aquascaping. I am using lime rock and coral rock all washed for weeks and sitting in the sun. Plan on a blue background (have the blue/black sheet). Couple of rock piles on each end and some type structure in the middle. Using a couple of bunches of short grassy type artificial plants. Everything has been soaking or drying in 5G buckets for weeks. Yes I have a lot of 5G buckets. lol Everything will be washed again before going in the tank.

Thanks for all the input. Whether I agree with it or not, it is all welcomed.

Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jim, yes it's the exact stuff. If you're looking for more aragonite, the stuff can get pricey with Caribsea. Check out Nature's Ocean's new line of aragonite #1. A little friendlier on the wallet for a dry 20lb. bag. Came across this new product line at my LFS last week. Equivalent to Caribsea's special "Sea Floor Grade" aragonite.

http://www.reefsand.com/ (aragonite #1)

http://www.naturesocean.com/ (main website)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts