Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need either 3 glass tops 2ft by 18 inchs or two 36 inchs x 18inchs hoods... cant seem to find any... probly jus not looking in the right place... anyone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
prov356 as for that site
This Perfecto Glass Canopy fits Perfecto tanks that are 72" L x 18"W. The glass canopy comes in two 36" sections because the 72" Perfecto Tanks will have a center brace on them for added stability
and the petsolutions i called them and they said id have to find out the brand of the tank or exactly the measurement between braces because theres 2 diff tops they sell... anyone know if i can find jus the plastic hoods that sit on top?

my tank doesnt have a center brace... the tops sit on top of the outside lip of the tank.. im not sure if the tanks i would be trying to buy have a center brace or not as i havent seen them...it seems no1 sells the 36x18 plastic hoods like ihave two of on my 125 now... which doesnt make any sense if they made tanks witht hem why wouldnt they make them as replacements...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Something to think about would be the price of the glass tops vs. a canopy. In my case I might favor the canopy as I find the glass lids to be very much overpriced for what you get. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
m1ke715m said:
anyone know if i can find jus the plastic hoods that sit on top?
You can contact a glass shop and they can cut acrylic sheets to fit over your tank.

Just an idea, but have you thought about an acrylic canopy? Do you have any plastic fabricators located near you?
In the past, I've had acrylic canopies fashioned by plastic fabricators and the price was reasonable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wouldnt even know where to find a platic fabricator... the glass lids are 3 sections for $55 total its not very expensive at all.. iw ould jus have to buy the light strips seperate... where would i find a canopy? im not familiar with how a canopy works at all as i dont have one and have never really been up close to one to see how it works lol like i said im fairly new to the hobby... would a plastic fabricator ship me something like that?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Be careful when pricing lids. Do you have the plastic strips that connect the front glass and back glass together? When I have priced lids they did not come with the plastic that you will need. Only the glass and then the plastic strips for the hinge and the back part. This totalled more than I wanted to pay. Check carefully if you will have it all at the price you have.

Not meaning to give you an overload! A canopy is usually something you get made or do yourself if you have the tools and experience. Made of wood and finished as you like, they really make the tank look nice as all the top equipment is hidden. It may not be something for you at this time but I was thinking the lids so expensive that the canopy might be good.

This is a Craigslist ad showing canopy, tank and stand in my area:
http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/2295671884.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea so i went and priced new tanks today at a lfs around here thats actually in our review section... and they sell tanks for cost... well so they say.. but the 125g perfecto tank i want it turns out for the tank brand new.. the glass canopies that go with the tank and 2 light strips is only $406 brand spankin new... so im not even gonna get a used tank... people are out of their minds what they want for the used, scratched tanks.... only thing that kinda blows is that i wont be gettin all the accessories.. heaters, ornaments, filters and air pumps i usually score for free with the tank...

yea i know what a canopy is.. they usually come with the tank and are super expensive... *** never seen one like taken apart up close dont know how they really work is what i meant..

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Okay. There are so many different ways to build canopies that it is pretty much an open field. I'm kind of short so I like the kind which has a hinged lid that opens the top as well as part of the front panel so that I don't need to reach over when working inside. Others like having just a small trapdoor to open when feeding. Not for everyone, though. They can get in the way when doing work in the tank.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
m1ke715m, I like simplicity and so my acrylic canopies just lifts off when I have to do maintenance. The body itself is square with rounded corners and the back has a 4" ventilation opening the entire length of the canopy. Towards the back of the canopy, there is a small hole drilled (which an acrylic piece fits into) and when feeding time comes around, I remove the acrylic piece, place a piece of PVC in the cut-out and into the tank, which also has a small hole drilled in the top. This way I never have to remove it when feeding. When I have to perform maintenance, I prefer to have the entire contraption out of the way. Since it's made of acrylic, it's extremely light and easy to remove off the tank, which stands about 68" in total height.

However, the hinged canopies do have their advantages as well, so it's up to you.

However, first thing's first: glass tops. 8)
From experience, I would suggest you call around to local glass shops and price them out. A single piece of 1/8" thick glass measuring 20" x 5" should be somewhere in the ballpark between $3.00-$5.00.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh wow thats cheap.. i think ima jus get the ones that are meant for the tank and if they break ill get ones made at a glass shop... its more convenient to jus get all the stuff in one place... do you have any pics of your canopy? they call the glass tops canopies actually so it gets a lil confusing lol

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Not my tank (too lazy to photograph it :lol: ) but same canopy.
Let me know if you want internal pictures and I'll actually photograph it, haha!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol yea thats what i meant the internal pics i know what they look like from the outside lol... i am handy with cars and some things.. but wood and building things arent my strong suite... letse jus say i sucked at shop class and leave it at that lol

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
m1ke715m, here are the photos of my canopy. I know it's nothing special, but I like the simplicity and the lack of weight; makes it easy for one person to move, LOL! I know the reflections make it a little tough to see some detail but you get an idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how does that sit on your tank? im confused lol and yea the reflections did really mess me up at first i was like huh

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
There are flat, perpendicular supports which sit on top of the tank. Pictures 4 and 5 show them. Below the supports, the remaining 1" of acrylic overhangs the tank; the trim effect in the first picture (page 1) I posted.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You can also have a glass company make your own canopy. Saves you a little $. I've done this on my 75g and it works well. On the back half of the tank the glass sits on the top of your tank, and is held in place by the plastic strips (the strips that come with a pre made canopy, you can buy them separately at most LFS's or online). On the front half of the tank the glass sits on the groove that runs along the inside of your tank, so this glass slides underneath the glass on back. Add pulls which you can also buy separately. I just joined this site, not sure if it will let me post pics yet. Below if they show.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts