Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what this hairy stuff growing on my rocks is? All the rocks are called 'Florida Rock'. (Basically rock that used to be in the sea millions of years ago and now resides underneath the land mass known as Florida. I have a very controlled and natural looking cover of green algae all over them. But then these hairy things started popping up. Any clues?

Just did a water test:

Zero Ammonia
<20 Nitrites
Zero Nitrates
PH 8.0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2646313502_8dd3abde54.jpg?v=0

PS. Why isn't my image showing?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
as for why your image wasn't showing, its because you copied the address bar, rather than a link code

the difference being that it inserted the "?v=0" after it, and that is why it didn't show.

as to what it is, its hair algae (or possibly black beard algae)

I do hope you have no fish in there. as that high a nitrite level would be severely damaging if not fatal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the img thing, never had that issue in any other forums.

Anyway, I wrote down the wrong stuff. It is my nitrates that are less than 20 with the nitrites at zero. Fish are perfectly fine and healthy.

I was reading about the algae in the library section, but it didn't have any pictures so I wasn't able to match it up to what is in my tank. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
NP

only reason I mentioned the water parameters was that you stated a high nitrIte, which is toxic. easy mistake to make, thats why I allways list it as ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, that way even if the names get mixed up, it shows the cycle through and most people will get what I meant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.