Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, after being busy and out of town for a few days, I noticed my oscar had some kind of skin condition. While in the process of a water change, I noticed that the water was very cold and upon further investigation, I found out that my heater was broken. So I did a water change and added another heater I had laying around. The heater seemed to work fine at the time, but then I noticed the next day that the new heater failed to work as well. I added another heater, but the wattage wasn't enough to bring the temp any higher than 75 F, which isn't bad, but I need it higher for my oscar to recover. So today I did another water change, added salt and added a second heater to get the temp up. After the water change, I went to the store and when I returned my oscar was lying on the surface. I should have checked my perameters pre-water change, but I didn't. This is where they are now.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate between 5-10
Ph 7.5

I am waiting on my hardness test to arrive in the mail, so I'm clueless there.

The photo below, isn't great, but it shows what is going on with his skin. It's almost like a burn.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He seems to be doing much better today, but I am still puzzeled by the skin condition. i did remind myself that he took a leap out of the tank in the middle of the night a couple weeks back. Maybe flopping around on the floor has something to do with it or maybe there was some residual cleaner on the floor. :-?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My jack jumped out of the tank one morning (or night) and his fin if purple and his scales are purpley black too, and bleach is for bidden at our house.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news. My oscar is getting better everyday and has a good appetite again. I was convinced he was a goner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts