Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you could rate their aggression as adults? Mine are still juveniles. Just wondering..

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
One of the more aggressive mbuna. Wouldn't keep them in anything less than a four foot tank, and with plenty of females per male.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

They are in a 180... I purchased 10 & it appears that I have a 4M/6F ratio. I am letting them grow some more to see if some of these others that have remained solid orange will stay that way...

Oddly enough, the largest that is the last to start turning appears to be the most aggressive. The smallest of the 10 started changing first.

I have read that they are not as vicious as their cousins, chipokae & auratus. Has your experience with them held true to that?

They are approximately a tad over 2" right now & seem to be growing very rapidly.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have had each for a short time. The Auratus def seemed more aggressive for me but the Johannii wasnt too far behind. He staked a claim and wouldnt let ANYBODY get near it. Ended up trading them in.

·
Registered
485 Posts
IME they are highly aggressive & vicious(especially after the 2" mark) - not quite as bad as their cousins, but close..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys I'm kinda new to this forum and I also have a question about Johanni and Auratus. When I first got into the cichlid hobby the LFS told me these fish are better in pairs. I have 2 of each along with 2 Kenyi 2 Jewel 2 Venustus 2 Blood Parrots 2 Bumblebee and also 2 that I think are hybrids and 2 Plecos. *** had the tank up and running for about 6 months and have had no aggression whatsoever. Its a 55g. The LFS said if it was a bit crowded it would ease their aggression as long as its filtered properly. It is but am I going to be in trouble soon. I'd hate to split them up but if I have to I have to. I have a 125 cycling right now. Just want to do the right thing so I don't have any mass murderers on my hands anytime soon. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Unfortunately the LFS you went to is out to lunch. These are not pairing fish at all. Typically the more aggressive specimens require 5-6 females for every male, to prevent the males from murdering the females. Also unfortunately, the kenyi, johanni, auratus and bumblebees are typically the most aggressive species that you can keep. Nimbochromis venestus are less aggressive towards their females, but I like to keep at least three females for them.

I doubt the Blood Parrots even survive once the rest reach maturity. Crowding does help to ease aggression.

Now, what to do moving forward.... Well, it is possible that the high level of aggression of most of your fish will allow them to coexist... but I would recommend increasing the numbers of each type, to try and give the females some chance. I'd remove extra males as they make themselves known.

Otherwise, you'll basically need to start again.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I keep auratus and johanii in a mixed tank. With bumble bees, kenyi, venustus, predator Haps and other fish that can take care of themselves.

The johanii had to be removed, all of them but one I was able to catch w/ out tearing down the tank. And if it comes to me having to tear down that tank, a 210, I am going to let it tan on the patio for an hour or so. I will get it one day , Be Sure.

They are just plain nasty. And then as they mature they become evil. Ours is 5" or so.

They are lightening quick and do not attack with the familiar lip lock but rather do a relentless side attack. This stresses out the tank and soon bloat from stress.

Just my experience with that devil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah thanks guys. I was thinking of moving the Venustus and the BP to my larger 125 once it is cycled. One so they don't get killed and two they can get quite large. Should I move the Jewels and Labs too? Then I can keep the aggressive fish in the 55g and increase the numbers and better the m/f ratio. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Johanni were fine as juveniles, although they are breeding, now that they are 3"+ aggression has become a problem, I have 2 males and 4 females, the girls get battered and im thinking about removing them. Like mentioned before, only get them if your tank is 4ft+ or you have plenty of females to every male.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like mentioned before, only get them if your tank is 4ft+ or you have plenty of females to every male.
The ratio actually ended up being 5 male/ 5 female out of 10. I removed all of the males except for the one that started coloring first. He has been the most submissive of them all..

Let's hope he stays that way when he has free reign in the tank. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had a 4 inch male Auratus ( with no females ) in a 4 foot 90 gal. tank years ago living with M & F Peacocks, 1M Juvenile Venustus, Bumble Bee, Red Zebras & a Hap Ahli male. I had no real problems or fighting. The Auratus tried to spawn w/o success with any female in the tank. The Auratus did roam the tank extremely aggressively, but never killed or hit any of my fish. Mabey having 0 females helped. I did have some red zebra spawn at the time. After 2 year's I gave him away. Any of the 3 species are going to usually cause problems. Johanni is the lesser of the 3 evils. The Chipokae is reguarded as the nastiest mbuna of all, & that's really nasty. I have always had fairly peaceful tanks with just pure luck, stocking & very rocky tanks.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... Now it appears 4 female & 6 male...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.