Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed NLS' 1mm sinking cichlid pellets (old formula) but I just saw they came out with two new formulas;
- Probiotix formula, based off of their thera+ formula
- Cichlid Naturox formula

They also have a new"er" version of their plain ol' sinking Cichlid.

Old Cichlid sinking formula
Protein: 34% min
Fat: 5% min
Fiber: 5% max
Moisture: 10% max
Moisture: 9% max
Vitamin A: 8000 IU/Kg min
Vitamin D: 2500 IU/Kg min
Vitamin E: 200 IU/Kg min

Ingredients:
Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Whole Wheat Flour, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Algae, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Kelp, Garlic, Alfalfa, Scallops, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Wakame Seaweed, Spinosum Seaweed

Vitamins & Minerals:
Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate and Manganese Sulfate.

New Cichlid sinking Formula
Protein: 37%
Fat: 7%
Fiber: 7%
Moisture: 10%
Ash: 10%
Vitamin A: 10000 IU/Kg
Vitamin D: 3500 IU/Kg
Vitamin E: 400 IU/Kg

Ingredients:
Whole Antarctic Krill, Squid, Whole Wheat Flour, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Algae, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Kelp, Garlic, Alfalfa, Scallops, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Wakame Seaweed, Spinosum Seaweed, Ginger, Garlic

Vitamins & Minerals:
Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate And Manganese Sulfate.

Probiotix Formula
Protein: 39%
Fat: 9%
Fiber: 8%
Vitamin A: 10,000 IU/Kg
Vitamin D: 3,500 IU/Kg
Vitamin E: 400 IU/Kg.

Ingredients:
Whole Antarctic Krill**, Giant Squid*, Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Menhaden Fish*, Garlic, Omega-3 Fish Oil*, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Seaweed, Wakame Seaweed, Kelp, Ginger, Astaxanthin, Spirulina, Marigold, Capsanthin, Zeaxanthin, Eucheuma cottonii Seaweed, Spinosum Seaweed, Chondrus crispus Seaweed, Bentonite Clay, Sea Salt, Dried Bacillus sp. (lichenformis, pumilis & subtilis blend) and Pediococcus acidilactici *Naturox (a preservative) used, **Krill vacuum preserved

Vitamins & Minerals:
Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate

Cichlid Naturox Formula
Protein: 37%
Fat: 8%
Fiber: 7%
Vitamin A: 10,000 IU/Kg
Vitamin D: 3,500 IU/Kg
Vitamin E: 400 IU/Kg

Ingredients:
Whole Antarctic Krill**, Giant Squid*, Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Menhaden Fish*, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Seaweed, Wakame Seaweed, Kelp, Garlic, Ginger, Astaxanthin, Spirulina, Omega-3 Fish Oil*, Marigold, Zeaxanthin, Capsanthin, Eucheuma cottonii Seaweed, Chondrus crispus Seaweed, Spinosum Seaweed, Bentonite Clay, Sea Salt
*Naturox (a preservative) used, **Krill vacuum preserved

Vitamins & Minerals:
Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate

I used their old formula and never had any complaints...are these upgraded formulas worth it? NLS has always been cutting edge as far as food is concerned and their food, at least their old formula, speaks for itself. I was thinking of getting a small container of both and feeding half Probiotix formula / half Cichlid Naturox formula at feeding times but part of me is skeptical. This reminds me of everyone jumping on the grain-free dog food band wagon years ago and then recently some college (forgot which one) did a study and maybe found a link between grain-free food and heart conditions / problems so everyone is afraid to feed grain-free now.

With that said, has anyone here feed any of their new formulas?

Probiotix

Naturox

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
I have not switched over yet to any of the new formulas though I have seen some opinions and complaints on another forum regarding pellet sizes being smaller than the older versions, some issues with sinking pellets not sinking like the older versions and some fish not as pleased with the newer versions. All the squawking can be taken with a grain of salt as always.

As with any new food or reformulations, buy a small container and test it out on your fish. The mentions of the pellet size change and container labeling as to pellet size seemed to be a big hang up on that forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have tried them: flakes, pellets, algae wafers; but, not Probiotix.
Excellent food. All my fish from tetras to cichlids, corydoras to plecos enjoy the food.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda said:
I have not switched over yet to any of the new formulas though I have seen some opinions and complaints on another forum regarding pellet sizes being smaller than the older versions, some issues with sinking pellets not sinking like the older versions and some fish not as pleased with the newer versions. All the squawking can be taken with a grain of salt as always.

As with any new food or reformulations, buy a small container and test it out on your fish. The mentions of the pellet size change and container labeling as to pellet size seemed to be a big hang up on that forum.
I too read about some fish turning away from the new formulas. I don't have my fish yet, they're coming on March 15th so I'm good as far as switching goes. I think I'll try the Probiotix but stick with the old or new(er) sinking formula if they no longer carry the old when it's time to re-order.

If the Probiotix does what they say it should be a good food to feed. Hopefully NLS will incorporate the Probioticx with their Cichlid formula soon. I would guess they're seeing how it sells before having multiple Probiotix formula lines. I hate to say it but that new Naturox just seems like a gimmick to me and not worth switching to.

Discusluv said:
I have tried them: flakes, pellets, algae wafers; but, not Probiotix.
Excellent food. All my fish from tetras to cichlids, corydoras to plecos enjoy the food.
I had great results with their cichlid sinking. My Peacocks / Haps were always colored up and very healthy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts