Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that I have a demasoni that is holding today, and I only have a 5g tank here that I could set up for it. My only other thought was to get one of them breeding nets to put in my main tank and then place here in there.

·
Registered
828 Posts
What I usually do is strip the female in 14 days and return her to the main tank. I put the newborn fry in a breeder net located in one of my larger 40 breeder tanks. Then as the fry get bigger I move them into a 10 gal. Nothing wrong with a 5 gallon at all it will work fine for the fry or to hold the mother if you want. I just found 5 gals to be more of a pain than they are worth. if I am spending money on heating a tank Id rather heat a 10 or 20 long and divide it up if need be.

I really like the little breeder nets. I usually have 2 or 3 in my 40 gal breeder tank all the time with new fry.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks, I just went and got a breeder net although it is smaller that I thought it would be it looks like it should work. I am seeding the filter for my 5g right now on my main tank and figure once she is ready I will fill 5g with water from main tank, place heater and filter on it. Then strip mother in the breeder net that will be in the 5g to prevent and fry from meeting an untimely death do to the filter till they are a little bigger.

Couple questions:
1. Should I return the mother back to the main tank right after I strip her? or place her in the 5g that will be housing the breeder bet with fry and feed her a few day to get her back in shape before returning her to main tank?

2. Do I need to go out and get special fry food or can just grind up some of the tropical flake food I already have and smash up some of these little Hikari Gold Cichlid Excel pellets that I am feeding my others now?

3. How big do the fry need to be before I can move them out of the net into the 5g?

4. Should I place anything in the 5g for the fry such as plastic plants? Sand substrate? rocks?

5. Finally what is good size to grow them out to in the 5g before returning them back to the main tank?

Thanks again for all the great people who have chimed in with such helpful advice and helping me learn so much in such a short time!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
See if your LFS has a sponge prefilter to slip over the intake on your filter. If not get a piece of pantyhose from wife, sister, girlfriend, etc. and cut a section to go over the intake tube and put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. Put the fry in the bare tank as soon as you strip the mom. If you want to throw a plant in, fine. If not, fine. There is no need to bother with the breeder net at all if the fry are the only fish in the tank. Keep it though, because you will need it later. Finely ground flakes or pellets should be fine. I buy the Hikari First Bites and the fry seem to love it.

Hope this helps,
Jman

PS: Mom can go right back in the main tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jman can I ask what I will need the breeder net for in the future? If im just gonna strip her right into the small tank and then replace her back into the main tank what would I be using this for? It was only a few dollars so not gonna return it anyhow, but just to satisfy my own curiousity so to speak.

I think I may have this entire procedure straight in my head now, but the only thing that is still making me a little nervous is the actual stripping of mom. Is there anything that I have to be especially careful for while doing this? How long can strip for before being concerned about her being out of the water too long? Also do most people strip her at 14 days? Thought I read the gestation period was closer to 21 days? I have been searching on how to strip fry and it seems that they just hold the fish within the net to prevent slipping, then hold mouth open with finger nail and basically just dip her in and out of the tank water head first. Does this sound right or is there something else that Im just not seeing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I did to strip my Labidochromis was cut a piece of silicon tubing and made a point out of it while gently holding the fish put the pointed edge of the tubing to her mouth and just pry ever so slightly. They should just come out but keep the point small to allow them to come out. The silicon tubing does not hurt the fish a bit! :fish:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The only issue I would have with a 5g is that any small issue becomes a big issue in such a small volume of water.
You really need to stay on top of the water changes and be more careful than usual to get things like temperature and pH right before adding fresh water.

Of course, if you have one already it makes sense to use it.

kevin

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good deal guys, I do have a digital thermometer that I plan on using to get the water as close the same temp as usual. As far as water parameters, my ph has always been 8 right on the button never less never more right out the tap, So I'm hoping that part should be of less concern. I like the ideas of the toothpick and tubing as I have both laying around here in large amounts.

Also GTZ thanks for the links I plan on reading them over and over again to make sure I learned all that I can.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Just take your time, it's easier than you think. The only issue I had was after they were in the breeding contraption I cobbled together, in the main tank :oops:
Most of them got sucked out by the adults...live and learn that it's easier to have a fry tank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The fish will certainly survive longer in the 5 gallon tank than in the main tank. :D All he has is a 5 gallon tank so it is that or dinner time for the adults. Worst case scenario, he learns some thing for next time. :thumb:

Benjammin,

I just use the blunt end of a flat toothpick. I hold the mom in my hand in the water and gently open her mouth with the toothpick. I move her back and forth and the fry swim out. Just try an make sure that they all come out. It is really easy. I would definitely wait at least until 21 days. That way the fry will be sturdier and without an egg sac.

As for the breeder net, my fry tank currently has week old fry in a breeder net while the tank contains 6 and 8 week old fry that would eat the new fry if released in the tank with them. These small fish can't suck the fry through the mesh like the adults.

Good luck,
Jman

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
That reminds me of the last time I stripped. There were fry in the 10 gallon already, big enough to eat what I was going to strip, so I made another smaller breeder 'contraption' out of window screen that sat inside the plastic mesh breeder box that had previously failed.
Worked fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a couple years and this is my first post. Sorry it has to be a "downer" post but no one has mentioned the obvious.

The use of a HOB in a 20 litter (5 gal tank) is going to cause tears IMO. Chances are good that you'll lose a lot of fry up the intake Ben. It would be better to use a sponge filter if you have one.

If not, and the hob is all you have, I suggest getting an old net and fashioning like a sock for the intake tube. Toucan just hold it in place with a rubber band. Just make sure there are no little fishie holes left for them to get into.

Also, Did you say in another thread this Dem was 3.5 cm? If so she could have well over 20 fry, maybe 30 or 40!! While the 5 gall will be fine early the fry are going to outgrow it quick if she has a large gobful. I've used a 3.5 gall tank in an emergency and it's fine except for the outgrowing. This was when I learnt that HOBs and small fry don't mix.

I know you are well into planning Ben but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth for consideration.

Good luck with the birth :)

Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jmanolinsky said:
See if your LFS has a sponge prefilter to slip over the intake on your filter. If not get a piece of pantyhose from wife, sister, girlfriend, etc. and cut a section to go over the intake tube and put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. Put the fry in the bare tank as soon as you strip the mom. If you want to throw a plant in, fine. If not, fine. There is no need to bother with the breeder net at all if the fry are the only fish in the tank. Keep it though, because you will need it later. Finely ground flakes or pellets should be fine. I buy the Hikari First Bites and the fry seem to love it.

Hope this helps,
Jman

PS: Mom can go right back in the main tank.
Sorry, I missed this post. Happen to agree with it :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, well I was just informed over this week that my old lady is not allowing another tank. Well when it setup with fish swimming it one day I will just be like, Ohh yeah forgot you said that, just take em out and take it down. Then it will stay. :p But just in-case I did go and get both a breeder net and a sponge filter for the intake.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I have been hearing that you should strip the mother at anywhere between 14 to 21 days.

Today is the 14th day after I noticed she was holding (noticed 2 more since) and was wondering if I should consider trying this today or would it be better to wait for another couple days? The excitement and suspense is really getting to me, not to mention the little guy at home who has been asking if we can "take out the babies" like 10 times a day cause he "just wants to see the little guys!" LOL I have been telling him that patience is key.

Any input from the ppl out there who have done this would be great. I have a 5 in one breeder box setup on my tank was thinking about just putting Mama in there and see if she spit. If she still didnt spit in a few days then go ahead with the strip. Has anyone who has used these plastic breeder boxes noticed excessive stress on the fish that is placed in there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some people do strip as early as 14days but personally I wait until 17days, and if I'm patient enough ill way until 19 days, I find the fry always have all the egg sac gone by then.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just stripped two dems at 17 days, and none of the fry had any egg sacs remaining. I also stripped one fry from a wrong female, who had been holding for 11 days, and it was barely a wiggler. I would think at 14 days some of them may still need to be tumbled.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Think it would be ok to put her that breeder and just let her relax in there for the next few days, and then proceed with the stripping?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts