Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a total newbie at caring for fry. I have a flame tail female that had spit out her eggs in one of my breeding nets! Three quarters of the egg is clear and the rest is an orange colour. Can someone tell me what this means. And the only problem is that I don't have a second tank to put them in or an egg tumbler. In the (fry net) there is plenty of current to gently roll them around is that ok???????

Appologize if this is a stupid question
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The main problem I see with this is that the other fish will probably manage to get the eggs out of the breeder net. I don't know how they do it, but fry disappear through the net all the time when people try this.

If you put something under it, you'd probably restrict your current and defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.

Did you give the female time to pick the eggs back up?

Sounds like they are in the stage of morphing from egg to fry.

And, there are no stupid questions! :thumb:

Kim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I did was I put an icing tube (used to put the icing on a cake) and i cut off the bottom and a little off the top and I submerged it into the fry net and put an airstone so that the eggs will tumle and move around then i put the eggs into it and they are tumbling fine now. How many days will it take for them to hatch???

·
Registered
493 Posts
Im not an expert but I would like to say something only because I recently had a batch of eggs
hatch outside the mother.
I had 22 eggs to begin with, all orange, but after a few days, some turned clear. from what I learned some eggs didnt get fertilized. And thus the clear ones were dead. the rest stayed orange and hatched or that is to say you could notice the eyes and tail, like a week later. Fortunatley for me I had an extra tank, and i put the eggs in a small drinking glass inside the tank and directed a gentle current from a nearby powerhead so that they were moving. I dont know if this method in any way can work for you, but its an idea.

Tim

·
Registered
302 Posts
lbiro2
Kim is right there are no stupid questions! No matter how many time we answer them, were here to help. Also like Kim said it sounds like their starting to morph in to fry. If you take a close look you should be able to see a head and tail witch will be clear, depending on how old they are. If you see that it means you have babies on the way.

I myself like to isolate the eggs in their own 10 gallon tank so you dont have a chance of the adults sucking the eggs through the breeding net. What I do is I use a fine mesh stainless steel strainer with a sponge filter under it with just enough air to help them tumble, very high success rate that way. As far as to how long it takes you should have free swimmig fry by 21 days. A female will hold from 21 to 28 days before spitting fry.

·
Registered
847 Posts
To me, it seems like it's best to just let the female hold until they are free swimming. I went to strip one of my yellow labs..I must've got her confused with another cuz her fry were basically eggs with a small head and tail. Fortunately she took them back in and is holding them again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts