Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was looking for cheap, large tank ideas and came across livestock tanks. They come in varying sizes. On some of the reviews people said they had used them for fish. I was thinking about using one of these as an indoor angelfish pond. Has anyone used these before?

·
Registered
625 Posts
A livestock tank as in a trough for animals to drink out of? If that is the case I have read/seen many people using them as a cheap sump.

I've used one on my grandparents farm to store fish caught in the river until it was time to eat them and sometimes minnows for bait. Now these aren't long term, but it seems safe enough.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
As the weather locally is quite mild, many people use stock tanks as fish tanks. Some are more or less seasonal but others are dug in or insulated for year round use. Some coat them but apparently it is not required. Go for it!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use a 300-gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for plants and fish in the summer. I have a pond filter and fountain that I use in it. Unfortunately Rochester winters don't allow year round use. One nice feature is that there is a drain plug.

·
Registered
656 Posts
fish_guy15 said:
Hello everyone, I was looking for cheap, large tank ideas and came across livestock tanks. They come in varying sizes. On some of the reviews people said they had used them for fish. I was thinking about using one of these as an indoor angelfish pond. Has anyone used these before?
If your talking about the rubbermaid/plastic type, then yes, you can use them. If you are talking about the galvanized steel ones, you MUST use a liner, they are not fish safe, the zinc will poison the fish.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've contemplated using a few of the plastic variety with the drain for larger growouts. I think you can get a 100~ gallon for about $80.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts