Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to catch my holding female but its proving near enough impossible, are there any little tip anyone can give me? preferably without taking all my rocks out.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Take all the rocks out. It seems like a lot of work, but it's less work than netting the female with rocks in.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
+1 to removing rocks.

Me and the wife spent about 45 minutes catching 2 holding mom's in my 125. I took out about 1/3 of my rocks and layed quite a few down so there's no caves formed.

It takes patience and persistence.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Use a divider in the tank. I take enough rocks out so there's room for the divider, around the 1/3 mark of the length, use my hand to move the fish to that end of the tank, put in the divider, remove the rocks on that end and go fishing. You can lower the water level as well if you need to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1 on the divider. Love those things. Get a peice of plexy glass from home depote thats a lil wider than your tank (put it at an angle for a tighter fit and hold it with a rock) and just as tall. Or if its not as tall let some water out. I always leave space between rock piles when dealing with super quick Malawi cichlids. Just so I can have a place to put a divider if needed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Try using more than one net. I set one to block an escape route and another to actually catch her. My holding mom swam into my net earlier this week. That was a first. Try not to stress her out too much though, eventually you will wear her out and she will dig in somewhere, anywhere. Also, if you do stress her enough, as soon as you catch her she will spit into the tank or the net, or both.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've worn out a few moms by chasing, etc.. and they were within a few days of full term - never had them spit. Odd.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like to use two nets, one larger net and a smaller net. Try to chase her into the larger net, patience and persistence is key.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Glaneon said:
I've worn out a few moms by chasing, etc.. and they were within a few days of full term - never had them spit. Odd.
If it happens to me, it's normally after they are in the net and out of the water, so I can recover the eggs. But it's never a pretty site to see mom on her side with 30+ eggs falling out of her mouth.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
GTZ said:
Use a divider in the tank. I take enough rocks out so there's room for the divider, around the 1/3 mark of the length, use my hand to move the fish to that end of the tank, put in the divider, remove the rocks on that end and go fishing. You can lower the water level as well if you need to.
Ditto 100%. I've caught several holders at one time like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts