Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just starting up my Cichlid tank and getting things ready. Through reading on here, unless I misunderstood, limestone is good for Cichlid tank as it can help maintain the higher PH levels. So I found some limestone. They're older pavers that have been sitting around for a few years. Any issues with taking these and breaking up some of the larger pieces and using them for the tank decoration?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Why break em up? Huge rocks in an aquarium can look phenomenal...

If you do break them up, they can have sharp edges so be prepared to hammer (or otherwise sull) all sharp edges. My personal advice is to keep the rock "together" even if broken up. It can look really great in a tank if the rocks look like they have natural cracks/ fissures.

You'll want to make sure these pavers were no where that they could have been sprayed with weed killers, pesticides, oil... if there is a remote chance, then bleach, powerwash, whatever your methods but get them clean. IF they definately had toxic substances on em, I wouldn't use them personally.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Number6 said:
Why break em up? Huge rocks in an aquarium can look phenomenal...

If you do break them up, they can have sharp edges so be prepared to hammer (or otherwise sull) all sharp edges. My personal advice is to keep the rock "together" even if broken up. It can look really great in a tank if the rocks look like they have natural cracks/ fissures.

You'll want to make sure these pavers were no where that they could have been sprayed with weed killers, pesticides, oil... if there is a remote chance, then bleach, powerwash, whatever your methods but get them clean. IF they definately had toxic substances on em, I wouldn't use them personally.
They were supposedly never used. But I was planning on bleaching/power washing them before putting them in the aquarium. As for breaking them up, its a 75 gallon aquarium and I'm not sure some of them will fit in. I'll be picking them up tonight.

·
Registered
554 Posts
awesome rocks, post pics when you have them in!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wasn't as many as there appear to be in the picture. I'll probably have to find some more. But think they'll look nice once they're in there. Debating on whether or not to get a piece of texas holey rock to put in there with it all. But I keep thinkiing it would look funny.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol... OK, so a few rocks go a long way. Went and got some more today and ended up I don't think I really needed them. Here's what I have so far, I know it looks like it goes past the ends of the aquarium, but they don't. The pieces of quarter round ar the edges of the aquarium. I might have to make the depth a little shorter though, might not be enough space in the front. About how much room will the fish need between the rocks and the front of the aquarium?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like iit. What I have found with my tanks is that it you make it more of a half circle rather than just a wall of rocks it tends to look better

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
The fish only need the width of the fish. The fishkeeper may want the width of a python siphon attachment to facilitate cleaning substrate and scraping glass.

You are trying to make spaces on the sand surrounded by rocks for each male to claim as territory.

Your arrangement looks cool. :thumb: The fish might like the spaces in between to be a little tighter (barely fish sized) and that would also add to the stability of the stack.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I like to see the fish as much as possible, so create tunnels for the most part. Mine also seem to prefer tunnels to caves. Guess that way they don't feel trapped.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theconverted said:
oh and not too high or too much.. add as much as you want, they love rocks.. the more rocks you have, the more fish you can have
Almost sounds like an oxymoron there... Would think more rocks = less water = less fish. But I see your point. Took me about an hour and half to 2 hours to those rocks in there. Switching out the smaller rocks left and right to make sure the bigger ones were stable. Not worried about the rocks moving....falling is another story, that's what scares me. 300lbs of rock hitting the side of a glass aquarium filled with water..... eek.

Better picture:

·
Registered
705 Posts
sounds like you may be concerned. try bringing the pile down a bit. my fish just love them some rock piles. places they can go and u cant see them imo. also if the rock weighs more then a pound i wouldnt worry too much about the fish moving it. itd just be u. for this reason i make sure when building my rock piles that everything sits reallly nicely. if it doesnt all lock together i take it down until it does. never had problems from my piles. gl to ya

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same question....

I live in Northeast Ohio and close enough to Rocky River that I took a little trip to gather up some rocks. Below are pics of the location and the rocks. Anyone that lives around here that knows good or bad about using rocks from Rocky River would be appreciated. Also I am no rock expert, so if anything sticks out please let me know. The light grey ones seem pretty fragile, not sure if it is shale or what, and if it is even good to use (although they look neat).

·
Registered
238 Posts
jbarilow said:

I live in Northeast Ohio and close enough to Rocky River that I took a little trip to gather up some rocks. Below are pics of the location and the rocks. Anyone that lives around here that knows good or bad about using rocks from Rocky River would be appreciated. Also I am no rock expert, so if anything sticks out please let me know. The light grey ones seem pretty fragile, not sure if it is shale or what, and if it is even good to use (although they look neat).

Certainly looks like shale. Be cautious if there are any chemical plants upstream that dump "treated" water into that river. Also, houseboats are notorious for flushing their treated waste into rivers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is no dumping going on and this river is running through our Metroparks and no house boats or the like have I ever seen anywhere near this. Pretty much just people standing in the shallow waters.

As for the shale, is that only the greyish rocks or you thinking all of it? I was wondering if maybe the non grey rocks were sandstone possibly.

Would it be best to stay away from the shale?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jbarilow said:
To the best of my knowledge there is no dumping going on and this river is running through our Metroparks and no house boats or the like have I ever seen anywhere near this. Pretty much just people standing in the shallow waters.

As for the shale, is that only the greyish rocks or you thinking all of it? I was wondering if maybe the non grey rocks were sandstone possibly.

Would it be best to stay away from the shale?
I think shale is OK, I saw some in Aquarium Adventure the other day. Had someone tell me that shale was ok a few weeks ago when I was looking for limestone.

·
Registered
705 Posts
shale is fine for use in tanks. in fact many species of SA/CA egg layers will prefer it as a medium for egg laying. not sure of how well it works with africans *** just used lace rock personally. let me know how it works out

·
Registered
228 Posts
biglove said:
jbarilow said:

Certainly looks like shale. Be cautious if there are any chemical plants upstream that dump "treated" water into that river. Also, houseboats are notorious for flushing their treated waste into rivers.
I grew up close to The Rocky River and you are correct.....a lot of of shale. You can see the cliffs along the river in the MetroParks are mostly shale.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts