Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any success with mixing Mbuna and haps/peacocks? I know the diets of each are different, Mbuna being more veggie based and haps/peacocks more protein based. But based on aggression, any experience?

Thanks for any help :fish:

·
Registered
823 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Anyone have any success with mixing Mbuna and haps/peacocks? I know the diets of each are different, Mbuna being more veggie based and haps/peacocks more protein based. But based on aggression, any experience?

ppl have mixed in some of the more docile mbuna such as yellow labs and acei...anything more aggressive will most likely not work... If u feed NLS, u can can keep both the haps and the mbuna happy, as its a good mix for both of them...

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
My Cynotilapia sp. hara (low-medium aggression for a mbuna) killed a stuartgranti (medium-high aggression for an aulonocara).

So it's always an experiment, but I'm sticking to yellow labs only myself.

·
Registered
874 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:

If your tank is 75G or larger, you should be successful with Yellow Labs, Aceii and Rusties. Those are by far your safest bets!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, well right now I have Kenyi Labs and Yellow Tail Acei, but I've gotten a lot of negative feedback from the Kenyi, saying the aggression is way to out of control. I'm thinking of getting rid of them, maybe getting rusties, or maybe some afra cobue and maybe a few peacocks/haps. Any recommendations of some haps/peacocks that work good? Maybe a few species of just male

·
Registered
874 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Alright, well right now I have Kenyi Labs and Yellow Tail Acei, but I've gotten a lot of negative feedback from the Kenyi, saying the aggression is way to out of control. I'm thinking of getting rid of them, maybe getting rusties, or maybe some afra cobue and maybe a few peacocks/haps. Any recommendations of some haps/peacocks that work good? Maybe a few species of just male
What size is your tank?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I upgrade, I wanted to get rid of the Kenyi, keep the 4 electric yellows I have, keep the 2 acei I have and add a few. Then maybe some white labs, and haps/peacocks or some other mbuna

·
Registered
105 Posts
a 75g is 4 foot long and 18 inches wide unlike the 55g which is 12 inches wide. You can keep mbuna together with haps and peacocks. You just need to be mindful of each species needs when it comes to shelter, swimming space and territory needs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dielikemoviestars, they have the same footprint, but I don't really have enough money to get a 6' tank. I plan on upgrading, again to a 125 in a few months after I get the 75 established. I'm going to have a 29 for a hospital tank, or whatever it is going to be needed for. I plan on Acei, Yellow Labs, White Labs, and maybe a few male haps/peacocks. keeping the 29 in case too much aggression occurs, and I certainly will return the haps/peacocks or the mbuna if too much aggression occurs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts