Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we (the wife) have decided that we (me) are going to repaint every room in our house. When I get to the living room that the tanks are in do I need to do anything special while painting with a roller and brush to prevent the fish from any contamination? Will an old bed sheet be sufficient if I just throw it over the whole tank once I get it moved out away from the wall?

Hey... This would be the prime time to build that new tank stand I have been wanting to make!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Somewhat depends on how you are painting and type of paint you are using. Brush and rollers with latex, I would just cover the tank with plastic. Not too manyfumes and such. Using oil base paint and possibly mixing and cleaning equipment is a little more risk. Clean all the equipment outside or away from the tank. Try to seal the tank more carefully to avoid fumes. Watch for any air pumps or equipment that might suck air in and add it to the water. If you are planning to use spray equipment and oil base paint---- move the tank out.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
My tank is in the basement and am just finishing up a reno, pretty much gutted down to the studs, meaning, new drywall, polyfilled, sanded, painted walls etc. All I did was cover the tank with a drop cloth from time to time.
If your light fixture gets hot, make sure you turn it off when covering the tank, especially if covering with plastic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.