Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have three rustys at the mo, planning to get a couple more as would like the 1m-4f ratio if possible. So can anyone help me sex this existing rusty?

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
If i had to put money on it i would say thats a female. You really need to vent it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Male, due to the pointed dorsal and anal fins and that it appears to have a purple shean in the pictures. Feamles have rounded fins and are just brown, no purple shean.

Male Rusty

Female Rusty

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Suken, I wish I could take photos like yours, what's your secret!?

I guess there's no way of visually knowing for sure (catching fish for venting requires me to basically empty the tank of all rocks, they are so **** quick!). I will try and make sure, as best I can, the next two I pick up are females (as I have another two besides this one, and think one of them may be male).

I do agree that it displays some of the male characteristics in the fins, etc, but only a faint purple coloration and single egg spot made me think it might be female.

I will let you all know if I ever discover what he/she is!

Ian.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I've had females that display a purple sheen. Visually the main thing i look for is how much contrast there is between the rust on the head and dorsal area compared to the purple on the body.

In your pictures i do see some purple sheen but there isnt much contrast between the two areas. Looks kind of muddy (for lack of better words).

Its hard to visually tell the sex of alot of mbuna in person and even extra hard to tell from pictures.

Once again vent to know for sure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GaFishMan, I agree. I do not think you can tell 100% by colour or fin shape. Here are some photos of known females, they certainly have fairly pointed anal and dorsal fins:

But visually the fish in question does not really have any contrast between purple hue and rusty body, just a little purple if caught in a good light. I am beginning to think, if I had to put money on it, I would go female.

On a more positive not, another young rusty is developing the most beautiful purple hue and has plenty of pronounced egg spots... I'm going male for that one. :)

Ian

·
Registered
268 Posts
I say female.
I have a breeding group myself and the fish looks female to me. Always hard to tell with a pic
though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts