Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very fine coral sand is gorgeous, but I'm at the point where I'm going to have to remove it and replace it with coarser (i.e. less fine) sand. Why? Because my HOBs are grinding on and off all day, everyday. At first I thought it was a defect and returned one of them to the retailer and they sent me a new one. Within a short time however, it was grinding again and now both do it off and on constantly!
Does anyone have any final suggestions before I just screw it and siphon everything out?

Thanks!

PS...I have removed and cleaned the impellers several times already...

·
Banned
406 Posts
Raise the intake higher or put a prefilter over the strainer?

I'm glad I went with pool filter sand....that stuff sinks instantly!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the intakes are already as high as they can go...
What would you suggest for a prefilter?

·
Banned
406 Posts
you could use some foam from a Aquaclear or a sponge filter. I have several sponge filters that I use on maxijet powerheads. Maybe try those? What filter are you using?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two Penguin 350s

·
Banned
406 Posts
That looks like some powdered sugar. :lol: Man I bet that stuff does stay suspended.

Im sure somebody else with experience with those filters will chime in. If it were me...Id try a sponge to use as a pre-filter. If the intake strainer is kind of square use a sponge for a aquaclear and cut it to size. Google aquaclear sponge filter. If the intake strainer is round you can use a sponge filter for a maxijet. Google maxijet prefilter sponge.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like it settles but clearly plenty of it stays suspended :x

Thank you very much for those suggestions!

Gonna stop and grab some of that stuff tomorrow :)

·
Banned
406 Posts
You bet! :thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 25g with super fine sand and my 2 HOB's were grinding alot. The solution for me was indeed sponge prefilters. I didnt want it to be an eyesore so I bought them black :

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Filter- ... tc=default

No more sand in my impellers and they are silent now.. but I do have to clean the sponges every couple of day. Takes about 2 minutes, under tap water. (I dont use them for biological filtration so tap water is fine)

Mike

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:dancing:
That was my last concern, ugly white on my pure black background :(
Thanks so much for the link!!!!

·
Banned
406 Posts
mrs.som said:
:dancing:
That was my last concern, ugly white on my pure black background :(
Thanks so much for the link!!!!
You might want to buy the maxijet prefilters. They come in a 2 pack and are black too. I would post a link but every time I do the mods delete it...go figure!?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
60gallon said:
I would post a link but every time I do the mods delete it...go figure!?
We've lightened up regarding retailer links in this forum category. It's a bit of a balancing act finding that happy medium between, 1) respecting the fact that forum sponsors pay for advertising, and 2) serving our members' needs.
We do appreciate everyones understanding in this regard.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
GTZ said:
60gallon said:
I would post a link but every time I do the mods delete it...go figure!?
We've lightened up regarding retailer links in this forum category. It's a bit of a balancing act finding that happy medium between, 1) respecting the fact that forum sponsors pay for advertising, and 2) serving our members' needs.
We do appreciate everyones understanding in this regard.
I've always been of the opinion that the forum should recommend retailers based on the best price and service. If it's not a forum sponsor that is being recommended, well, they need to work on their pricing and service so they are being recommended. People come to the forums for genuine help, not to be sold service by whoever dishes out money to be a sponsor. Having said that, I respect the forum rules and understand why they are in place, after all, there is a review section. It's good to see the betterment of the community is being evaluated over the value of a dollar.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Honestly, I use PFS and still get grinding due to sand getting caught up in my 2 Penguin HOBs.

Will have to elevate the intakes and am seriously considering a 2nd Rena XP3 and just going to one HOB for water agitation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts