Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be a pest. All of you seem so knowledgeable about these fish, and I feel I may have done a poor job at researching my tank - even though I have spent many hours with my nose in a book, and talking with retailers. This setup is my first Tang tank. It was set up the the purpose of enjoyment and I just feel so bummed. :( Would you change this mixture? If so, how? Again, tank is 92 gallon corner bow front.

I have:
4 Brichardi (the whole reason I set up the tank - love these guys - wanted to see mating)
2 Muxtax Leleupi (beautiful but mean to shellies)
2 Malawi (I think they are Blue Johanni's / all blue, mild stripes, yellow dots on bottom of tail / retailer assured me they would go with my Tangs)
2 Mystery yellow fish (sold to me as Leleupi by same retailer but I suspect they are Malawi also as they dont have same shape as leleupi)
2 Brevis shell dwellers (used to be 3 but one is missing, with my luck probably eaten)
1 Loner shell dweller, very small brown striped (never seen except for meal time)
2 Chineese algae eaters

(Sorry about spelling)

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Not a pest at all... it can be very confusing to try and set up these tanks, particularly when you get terrible advice from the LFS. :roll:

I read back in your previous posts about brichardi being the reason you set up the tank. If that's still true, let's build your tank around them. What's going to happen when they start breeding is that they will first kill off the extra brichardi, and then ferociously defend their territory from other fish in the tank. But, they will raise successive generations of fry that will be very entertaining to watch.

So to have anything else survive in the tank, they need to be big and hearty. First, I'd get rid of the shellies: they will not be happy with any other fish that you currently have. The algae eaters may be okay, but they also may be killed.

The leleupi can hold their own against brichardi, maybe get a few more to spread out aggression. If you like the Malawi, keep them. They are likely tough enough for this mix, and as mouthbrooders won't compete as much as other rock dwellers.

If you want to get rid of the Malawi and stick to Tangs, you could try getting an adult pair of calvus. I don't recommend juveniles as they will get pushed around too much. Another option is to get a large julidochromis species: marleiri or regani. (One or the other, and only of you get rid of the Malawi).

Aquascaping will be important for managing three aggressive rock dweller species, but it can be done. You could also look into a group of synodontis catfish if you aren't concerned about breeding and raising lots of fry.

I hope that's helpful... :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just can't thank you enough for your advise. I am going to keep my brichardi - and it is funny that you mention killing off the extra brichardi as I just took out a dead one this weekend and today I noticed fry :D Yes, finally, fry!! I feel better as I must be doing something right.

I was going to remove the Malawi, but fear I will never catch them due to rockwork without destroying tank, and they are so beautiful. Currently looking into getting another tank - working on the hubby as we speak - and may just move shellies as you suggest and leave well enough alone.

This has been so helpful to me - I owe you one!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, I won - Possible 90 gallon comming my way tomorrow :) We both have our hobbies - he likes video games, I have fish tanks. He has a many many videogames, I have two tanks. SWEET, it is my turn again!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.