Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was shocked yesterday when I say my sunburst got stuck behind the FX5 intake strainer. I really though he was dead as you can see in the video. I had to keep him in the net and help keep him right side up for about 30mins. I noticed he was able to keep himself upright when I would move the net around but he was still unbalanced. I have a Koralia evolution 750 in the upper left back corner pointing towards the FX5 intake which is on the right side of the tank. What he did next was pretty smart...he purposely got into the flow from the Koralia to keep him self up and stable and swam against it.

After about 10mins of doing that he could swim ok but was still a little shaky. He just hovered in one spot yesterday keeping to himself but todays hes swimming all over the tank and even ate. :hehe: Luckily the FX5 was off when he got stuck because I was redoing my tank or else he probably would be dea. The FX5 has a gap between the back of the strainer and I guess because the intake stainer is so large he tried to get out by swimming forward but ended up getting even more stuck. I still cant believe he made a full recovery in 24hrs!! What a little soldier!

What I want to know is, since I made my own FX5 3/4" PVC intake does anyone know of another intake strainer that would fit a 3/4" PVC pipe? I tried looking around online but all of the intake strainers *** found, the manufactures only list what model the intake strainer will fit, not the size.

Thanks for any help!!

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
prov356 said:
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's a good source.
Thanks!

I found some of the 3/4" slip from several places but theyre only an 1-2" long. Im looking for 4-6". I might have to make something or get a piece of foam / sponge and trim it to fit in the back.

I saw one of my yellow labs going in the back of the strainer yesterday and I was thinking oh man here we go again but he managed to wiggle out. I wish Fluval made it to sit closer to the glass...I read on some site that a turtle got his head stuck. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts