Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bearded male lab died. Not sure why. I treated him a couple months ago for some little red spots on his skin. They looked like little red pimples. A couple treatments of fungus eliminator cleared it up. I have been him feeding brine shrimp for the last month, and recently started supplementing with mysis. It was for my haps, which are in the same tank, and since yellow labs were omnivores I thought he could handle it. Any way, I am leaning to improper diet as the cause, since when I did a highly amateurish necropsy his gut cavity was filled with white, mushy, meaty stuff that I am guessing were his intestines, along with quite a bit of fluid. There were bits of tan paste-like stuff here and there, possibly food, it didn't really look like organs. There was also this green little ball that leaked green fluid. It was at the end of the gut cavity near the head. Also, the fluid had little tiny oil bubbles in it. There was some orange color on the sides of his belly that I thought was just his color, but now that he's dead looks like a pinkish red bruise. He was hiding more than usual lately, recently sitting on the bottom. Now that I remember, he may not have eaten the last few days. What an idiot, I should have seen his health deteriorate! :x I had a couple labs die a few years ago with similar symptoms. Hope to avoid this in the future. p.s. All the other fish are healthy, and the water is good.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing more research on diet, I'm almost positive it's what I've been feeding him. Should have listened to everyone else, and fed NLS instead of meat to mbuna, insectivore or not. :oops:

·
Registered
705 Posts
lol welp sounds like another case of tha BLOAT!~ bummer dude. i remember starting out and thinking it was cool to feed my labs feeders... lolz! we all were new once too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts