Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75G tank with 4 xenotilapia Ochrogenys, 5 Caudopuncks, 4 Cyprichromis Leptosoma, and 6 Multies...any algae eating fish I could add that are also from Lake Tanganyika? I want to keep this tank lake specific.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Sorry I can not think of one that would go well with your other fish in a 75g and do a great job.
Gobie cichlids ((Eretmodus cyanostictus, Eretmodus sp. "Cyanostictus North", Spathodus erythrodon, Spathodus marlieri and Tanganicodus irsacae) eat algae and pairs and singles can be OK in 75gs) but they are pretty useless at keeping tanks algae free.

The snail Neothauma tanganyika is a good algae eater I think but for sure I have not been able to get hold of any yet. :(

All the best James

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
24Tropheus said:
Sorry I can not think of one that would go well with your other fish in a 75g and do a great job.
Gobie cichlids ((Eretmodus cyanostictus, Eretmodus sp. "Cyanostictus North", Spathodus erythrodon, Spathodus marlieri and Tanganicodus irsacae) eat algae and pairs and singles can be OK in 75gs) but they are pretty useless at keeping tanks algae free.

The snail Neothauma tanganyika is a good algae eater I think but for sure I have not been able to get hold of any yet. :(

All the best James
The last 2 on your list eat algae. I'm not looking to keep the tank algae free. Just don't want too much on the rocks. If I had some fish that would graze on it that would be great. Actually I see my Xeno's picking at it!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Pretty sure all gobie cichlids eat algae.
Eretmodus cyanostictus and Eretmodus sp. "Cyanostictus North" do for sure.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/e ... tictus.php
Tanganicodus primarily eats long algae strands (I hardly ever see mine grazing). Sp north is prob the best as has a wide flat underslung mouth for indiscriminate algae scraping/grazing. Mine scrape/graze quite a lot.

Single Tropheus or Simochromis prob too big, agressive and active for your peaceful tank?

All the best James

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fogelhund said:
Are you looking for something that eats the algae off the rocks, or the glass?
Just looking for a fish that will graze the algae off the rocks. As listed I have 5 Caudopunks, 6 Multies, 4 Cyprichromis Leptosoma, 4 Xenotilapia Ochrogenys. Hopefully something that is compatible, and from lake Tanganyika.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts