Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have 6 cyno. axelrodi that i thought i could switch from my 55 gal, where they breed a lot. So my thinking was that putting them into a 20 gallon tank they wold breed, be less likely to eat their fry, and evolve into a specific tank.

So ppl have told me no cynotilapia could strive in such a small tank. So then I'm thinking about leaving them into the 55gal and wish the fry good luck. But I already own this 20 gal tank with cycled water and i could set it up as a tanga or malawi small tank, but i am not an expert.

So im looking for suggestions here.
1) Put the axelrodi in the 20 gal? 2m/4f. If so, i can put a new species with my 6 labeotropheus trewavasae chilumba which are very calm, and my 6 johanni which are slightly more agressive (more like intraspecfici agression 3m/3f)

2) I dont change the population in my 55 gallon, and i go with something new in the 20 gal... or i get rid of the 20 gallon and go for a 32... and then what? julidochromis? shell dwellers6 (hard to keep?) a bunch of small malawi cichlids? 1 species only of course.

any ideas welcome!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Most will probably be quite hesitant to suggest you keep any African cichlid in a 20 gallon except shellies. I don't know how hard they are to keep.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Almost all the fry will be eaten if you let the female spit in your 55g. Having said that, If the 6 cyno. axelrodi are breeding a lot in the 55-they're doing well & I would leave them. Although, in that tank-I would at least remove 2 male johannii & get 1-2 more females(& labeos are said to get too big for a 55). You could use the 20g for the cyno alexrodi fry,(so they won't get eaten) as you could not keep the adults (or any mbuna) in it or you could use it for shell dwellers.

Just my 2 cents. HTH

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
If you really want labeos and johannii I would get a 75G for them, keep the axelrodi in the 55G and use the 20G to grow out fry/hospital tank.

Even with the 75G I would do Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) rather than johannii...same blue stripes but a little less aggressive.

Or if you get rid of the 20G (no fry, no hospital, not something I would recommend) and get a 36" tank you could keep the axelrodi in there. But agree that a 55G would not be ideal for labeos or Melanochromis.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thanks for your advice guys,
i know now that the vendors, although they say they are experts with cichlids, never portrayed the mix they proposed for my 55 gal as a problematic one. I find it disappointing, given the amount of money it cost me.... I would have liked to know what you guys unanimously say here beforehand, so i wouldnt have invested so much into my 55 gallon and all its equipment. i could have sold it back and get a 75 or 90 gallon instead...

too bad ill know for next time to come over here and ask you guys for better advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.