Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried a normal pleco awhile back was told he would grow faster than my cichlids but that didnt happen and he was killed.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You are probably leaving the lights on too long. Big does not mean safe in an African tank. You can do a bristle nose pleco. But it still might die--the cichlids might peck out its eyes, which will cause its death. You could also do nerite snails (they're less likely to be eaten).

·
Registered
869 Posts
Most of use use Bristlenose/Bushynose Plecos in our african tanks.. they are a dwarf species and are extremely hardy..

Not much to look at but they do a great job of cleaning the glass and rocks of algae growth.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hm...a 37, maybe 1? What else do you have in there? Cichlids are messy, so you don't need to overdo the BN stock.

I keep my lights on for 6-8 hrs (I keep the goldfish on longer (8) because they like it). Cichlids could really care less about the light--it's so you, the owner, can view them. So, try cutting down by an hr or 2 and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
351 Posts
did he starve? maybe not enough algae? my tanks with algae eaters stay on for 12 to 14 hours.
the algae grows much better with the light maybe... but the algae eaters have been fine and do a swell job.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bbesides bristlenoses, ime, chinese algae eaters work great as well. At first they get picked upon, but eventually, the cichlids ignore them and they heal up. Plus, the cichlid's aggression prevents them from eating other food...only algae.

·
Registered
261 Posts
*** kept a gold nuggate with my mbunas for a year now with 0 problems.I know some ppl wont recommend it but it works for me so far.Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 4 in my 75! 2 bristlenose (1 albino & 1 long fin) 1 red eyed royal & the other I'm not sure of but I've had him for 2 years & he's the biggest! The demasoni picked on them quite a bit at first but now they pretty much leave them alone! I also have cichlid stones which they stay hidden in for the most part while the lights are on!!!! I highly recommend the cichlid stones! Each fish seems to claim their own & sleeps in it as well! They provide great hiding spots!!! But from what I have observered the bristlenose do the best job of keeping the tank clean!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
We too also keep Gold Nuggets in some of our African tanks as well... we keep both the regular L018 and the L177 Queen Nuggets and they both do just fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a gold nugget for a little while but he didn't make it! Very disapointing! So I picked up the royal! I might try again in the future but they aren't cheap!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Gold Nuggets are great looking. I was considering getting one of them. A little pricey, which is kind of holding me back from getting one. If they get killed with aggressive Mbuna, then I would be worried about keeping any plecos. I have been told about BN Plecos many times, so I'm thinking I will give them a try before the Gold Nuggets. I guess it depends on which fish are in your tank.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Irish Johnny I'd def start with bn plecos first then once your fish have gotten use to them you could try a more fancy pleco!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts