Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a while now; reading through the library, searching forums, and watching Youtube videos but I just can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. The question is, how many Mbunas can I put in my tank. Here is my setup.
75 gallon (48" long)
Sunsun HW-3000 canister
Fluval 404 Canister
Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel HOB
I do a 30% water change once a week
I test the water every week before a water change
My water parameters are perfect. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and when I do my water change the nitrates are around 10ppm.

I currently have 12 Mbunas. I am not really asking what type of Mbunas but how many can I keep in there.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I simply cannot find an answer.
Thanks for the help
SouthNarc

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm sure it depends on which mbuna; small species like saulosi or demasoni can stock more than larger species, whether mixed gender or male only, also whether very aggressive or calmer mbuna makes a difference in numbers you can stock.

The 75gal cookie cutter give species combos & numbers:

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_75g.php

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the cookie-cutter article but was unsure how to decipher the numbers. I suppose to select a group and add the numbers? That just seemed like a lot of fish but I will give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
DJ can give you recommendations if he knows which fish you wish to stock, and whether all-male or mixed gender. If he doesn't see this post then you can try sending him a pm.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each if you stock peaceful Malawi that mature <= six inches.

Some of the cookie cutters are not risk free.

Are you doing mixed gender?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I am doing mixed gender because my LFS doesn't sell them sexed and they are all juveniles.
I have
Scolofi
Elongatus
Yellow Labs
red zebras
Electric blue Johanni

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
That is 5 species. Which is your favorite?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
OK then the yellow labs are out. How about this?
1m:4f Pseudotropheus socolofi
1m>4f Metriaclima estherae
1m:7f Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos Maingano (like the johannii but more peaceful with blue females)
1m:7f Elongatus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that sounds like a really good setup. I would have to order those fish online bc my lfs doesn't sell most of those. I live in a small town. Thats something I will have to save up for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts