Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I know you all are getting sick of me haha, but I still have quite a few questions. So I'm almost 100% sure I'm getting rid of the Kenyi. I'm either going to purchase a 75 or 90, so here is my ideal set up, but I'm sure will change after what you all say and what the stores have lol.

Electric Yellow Labs
White Labs
Yellow Tail Acei
Blue Dolphin
then some forms of peacocks/haps
I really would want a German red and Aulonocara baenschi
Any input would be very much appreciated, as always haha. :thumb:

·
Registered
922 Posts
So you'll need a long tank, rather than tall. At least 4ft wide which you can find in a 75 or 90 with no problem. Keep in mind wider is better.
If you are buying juvenile groups of each then keep in mind when they grow up the 2 types of Labs (Labidochromis) will cross-breed. So would any 2 types of Aulonocaras so go with one Aulonocara species, one standard Hap and one Lab species. The Acei are fine and the Malawi Dolphin although they get REALLY big.

Rockwork is key also so they are comfortable.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't care about fry, I wasnt going to keep them. And with the Aulonocara I was just planing on getting one male of each, would that be an awful idea?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Not an awful idea.I've never done it but if you search the forums here you'll find people who have done it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Cyrtocara Moorii (blue dolphins) need at least a six foot tank. They can grow to about 10." I wouldn't get them unless you plan on upgrading your tank again in a year. The rockwork you put in for the mbuna will make them feel even more cramped.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I plan on getting a 125 if I can, so hypothetically (I don't have the 75 yet) this would be my set up in the 75, no white labs don't want any psycho hybrid babies haha...

Labs-maybe 8?
Acei-maybe 6?
Cyrtocara Moori (Hap Moori)- 4
Aulonocara sp. -1 male
Aulonocara sp. -1 male
Aulonocara sp. -1 male

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone? I've kinda finalized my ideas
I have 4 yellow labs right now, so im hoping that the majority are female... so my set up will be
Labs 1m:4f or 2m:5f or 3m:5f
Acei 1m:3f
Cyrtocara Moori 1m:3-4m
Aulonocara sp. 1m
Aulonocara sp. 1m
Aulonocara sp. 1m
Aulonocara sp. 1m
Not sure about how maybe aulonocara, or if its going to be that exact species, just want a few male haps/peacocks, leaning more towards peacocks

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You won't know if it works till you try.

I'm guessing you're not stocking with juvies (since you're going to try to get male peacocks). I put up a post recently asking a similar stocking question and was encouraged to start with juveniles to increase the likelihood of success but that doesn't mean your plan won't work.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I do want to stock with juvies, which is why it will be hard to find male peacocks and haps since they don't show real color sometimes until around 2 years

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have a 20, and a 29 gallon that I'm going to use for hospital/quarintine/breeding/anything else i need them for, if that helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.