Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

So heres what i have; a 75g with:
m.joanjohnsonae
l. fuelleborni
m. msobo "deep"

for my 4th species i am up in the air i like demasoni but wonder if they would hassle my msobo. i also like the contrasting dichromatism of m lombardoi and think they have a good size contrast with my smaller mbuna.

in my 55 in goin labs rusties and maybe callainos? totally lost for a tamer friendlier mbuna.

thx all

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Since the three species you have chosen are larger and/or more aggressive than the usual mbuna, I would stick with three and have overkill on the number of females. 1m:7f of each will fill the tank.

To answer the specific question you asked, I would not expect demasoni to hassle msobo and I believe people have combined the species with success.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice! I currently have juveniles of the 5 species I mentioned in one 75. Everything I've read suggests rusties to be too friendly to be in with these guys and labs can crossbreed with joanjohnsonae so this seems like the most appropriate split I can come up with yes?. Also I had read that the joanjohnsonae would max at 4 inches and the msobo at 5, I know the listed sizes are all approximations but should I expect bigger fish than this?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
The labeotropheus are big/aggressive. The msobo and melanochromis are just aggressive. The fish are not stocked based solely or even mostly based on size, but rather the amount of territory they want to claim and how aggressive they are about it.

A starting place for stocking a 75G is four species, 1m:4f of each or 20 fish. Then you would adjust that depending on the species you choose. For each of the species you mention, seven females is a good idea. Three species, eight individuals gives you 25 fish and is a good stocking level for a 75G.

Is it likely Labidochromis caeruleus will crossbreed with joanjohnsonae? I have not read any posts saying this, as long as you have one male and plenty of females for each male.

Rusties are too friendly as in peaceful? I've had no problem mixing peaceful species with aggressive ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I think I understand now. I had read those stocking suggestions for fuelleborni and some melanochromis but not the msobo. That mix in a tank could actually end up looking pretty good as long as my two blue males (3 if my fuelleborni keeps coloring up like a blueberry ob zebra 8) ) can max their colors together but that was a concern with my previous stocking plan too.

Ransome if everyone repaid the favors you've done with your advice you would probably be set for life. Thanks a lot for answering the same basic questions a million times with the same experienced patience.

edit: About the labs and hybridizing: I read that since joanjohnsonae are sort of on the cusp between Labidochromis and Melanochromis that they were likely to interbreed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i want to keep demasoni would i be better off sticking them in a 55 with labs and rusties or bumping someone else down from the 75 and making them my 3rd species there? or should i just enjoy what I have and leave demasoni for the future?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts