Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple quick questions,

I recently built a topper for my tank and used some silicone sealant on the joints of the wood to seal it up from moisture and now after the fact i noticed that it does have anti-mildew agents in it. Since it will be above the water line by at least 2" in the closest spot will this be safe for my little guys? Or should I try and take it all out and replace with GE I?

Also I have noticed that my water is crystal clear looking from the front of the tank, but when i look down it long ways or through one side to the other the water looks cloudy a little. Is this just the way it is and Im being anal about it or is there something I could to do to solve this.

I am running a Magnum 350 Canister that is half full of Zeo Carbon and the other half is full of nylon scrubbies, along with an Aquatech 30-60 HOB filter with the standard replacable cartridges.
I have silica sand as substrate and slate for rocks if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
There are always particulates in the water. The longer distance simply shows them more. Like seeing the floor in the shallow end of a pool but not being able to see it at the deep end.
I wouldn't worry about the silicone.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, but that tank and canopy are long gone. I did find out that is was just particles in the water thought. After that I let it be for a while and with the polishing filter in the magnum I had at the time it must have got "gunked up" enough to catch the fine stuff and ended being crystal clear.

Since then I have boughten a 75g, and added a Eheim 2075 and Fluval 405 and am running some polishing pads in the eheim and purigen as well and now I cant believe how clear the water is!! :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts