Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been browsing, and looking at alot of fish. I was seriously consider going an all male peacock/Hap tank. But I think I have seen the error of my ways and really want the action of a Mbuna tank with the breading and such going on. So this is what I am thinking about stocking it with.

Metriaclima sp. 'Msobo' 3M 8+F
Melanochromis parallelus 1M 4+F
Cynotilapia afra Cobwe Albino 1M 2+F

:fish: :fish: :fish:

So there is a lot of white going on here. Imagine it with black sand. I think that should make things really pop and look good. I am also going to have 3-4 Synodontis multipunctatus. I was considering just 2M 'Msobo' but thought it would be best to spread out the aggression. Do you think the afra will be ok with just 2 lady friends?

Thanks!
Brad

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think 3 male msobos is good, it will help keep the msobo ladies in check. I would really up your cobue numbers, you have a much better chance of your male showing (more often) if he is the boss of somebody, and he wont be the boss of the msobos or the Melanochromis parallelus. You have room in this tank to up there numbers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Afra Keeper said:
I think 3 male msobos is good, it will help keep the msobo ladies in check. I would really up your cobue numbers, you have a much better chance of your male showing (more often) if he is the boss of somebody, and he wont be the boss of the msobos or the Melanochromis parallelus. You have room in this tank to up there numbers.
That is a good point about the male cobue. I was looking at the albinos which are $$ but I think they could look amazing with the black sand.

What are some other white fish with a splash of color...Hrmm...

·
Registered
11 Posts
for white/blue fish a lot of people like the cyno white top haras, still in the cyno family but better looking females then most. I think that would be a good contrasting tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
also polits, great looking males, not the best females, but worth it. I keep mine with larger fish he he shows great even though he is knida far down on the pecking list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other candidates are:

Pseudotropheus sp. "perspicax orange cap"
Labidochromis pallidus 'Yellow Cap'
Labeotropheus fuelleborni '???'

Some of these have a very similar looking males (white to pale blue) but I think all three of these also have poorer looking females, hard to find info about the babe's.

I think the cyno white top haras are at the top of the list.

I guess an alternative would be to get just a few of the Albino's and breed the numbers I want... :fish: :fish: :fish: could be a fun long term project :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also the Labidocromis sp. "Perlmutt" is a candidate too.

So many choice, and difficult fish to find.

I am glad that no one has seen a problem with keeping the 'Msobo' with the parallelus. I have always run away from Melanochromis, but with my bigger 75G I thought it'd keep things interesting, and give him alot of girl to chase. The hard part is going developing the group and culling the males.

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
You've really only heard from one person. I don't know anything about the fish you've chosen, so am waiting to hear from others. I did think I had read (cichlidaholic post?) that the cobue have trouble coloring up unless they are dominant in the tank...but I'm waiting to see what everyone says.

Fogelhund has a 75G with aggressive species including Auratus, you might want to take a look at that in "Your Tanks".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
You've really only heard from one person. I don't know anything about the fish you've chosen, so am waiting to hear from others. I did think I had read (cichlidaholic post?) that the cobue have trouble coloring up unless they are dominant in the tank...but I'm waiting to see what everyone says.

Fogelhund has a 75G with aggressive species including Auratus, you might want to take a look at that in "Your Tanks".
Thank you very much for the advice about what is needed to color up a cobue! I think that is a very important consideration.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/disp ... roup=owner

I think this is the tank you are talking about. It looks like he hasn't updated it yet. But of interest he seems to be keeping a Melanochromis and the Metriaclima sp. 'Msobo' or "Deep" as well. He doesn't give any indication of the genders and the Melan's look smaller, I wonder if they are sexually active yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I think I am going to be going with:

Metriaclima sp. 'Msobo' 3M 8+F
Melanochromis parallelus 1M 4+F

But I would like another species. Any more suggestions? I think I may be leaning towards

Cynotilapia 'Hara' with 3M 5+F

Hopefully with that number I'll get a good male to color up and maybe the beta too. I am not sure if the ratio will be ok. Starting to get alot of fish in there for a 4' 75G.

I am aware that the parallelus may be come to aggressive, but I have hoping with a good number of females, growing up with alot of fish, and being heavily stocked they may work out.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Fogelhund said:
I dumped the auratus... they got too aggressive. :lol:

As soon as I did, the msobo's started breeding like rabbits.
Funny when that light comes on and you realize it just isn't worth the effort, isn't it? :lol:

I think we've tried it twice since the first round, but we gave in a bit quicker when it started to "blow up"!

Those auratus did look great with those Msobos! I'm just really thankful my husband never found out you were getting rid of them until they were already gone, or it would have been round 4 for Kim! :thumb:

What's your male/female ratio on the Msobos, Fogelhund?

To the OP, Msobos are great, you really can't ask for a better colour combination, but one word of warning...The females are brutally aggressive towards each other, and I find the males easily intimidated by males of other species. (Which pretty much explains why Fogelhund's Msobos are now breeding without the auratus in the tank...)

I have my Msobos in with a group of the Cynotilapia White tops...Looks great, but I've got alot of male action coming from the White tops, and my male Msobo is so busy trying to fly under their radar that his ladies overlook him, too. Right now, I'm trying to figure out where to move the Msobos to get fry from them, but once I get a couple of clutches growing out, I'll move them back with the White tops...They really look great together in a tank.

Kim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cichlidaholic said:
To the OP, Msobos are great, you really can't ask for a better colour combination, but one word of warning...The females are brutally aggressive towards each other, and I find the males easily intimidated by males of other species. (Which pretty much explains why Fogelhund's Msobos are now breeding without the auratus in the tank...)

I have my Msobos in with a group of the Cynotilapia White tops...Looks great, but I've got alot of male action coming from the White tops, and my male Msobo is so busy trying to fly under their radar that his ladies overlook him, too. Right now, I'm trying to figure out where to move the Msobos to get fry from them, but once I get a couple of clutches growing out, I'll move them back with the White tops...They really look great together in a tank.

Kim
Thank you very much for you insight into the Msobo.

It sounds like finding tank mates for them are very tricky. And the Melanochromis parallelus sounds like its not going to work out the best. Well it's good that my fiance is starting to think that keeping my 40L and my new 75 is a good idea :thumb:

Maybe some kinda "Lab*" would work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.