Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't think there is a shaking your head smiley :wink: . I've gotta settle for the blushing face and eye rolling one lol. I'm sure anyone with any sence knows my tank is ridiculous and it's a wonder it's not total chaos or mayhem. Honestly though, there isn't much I regret doing. It is a very colorful & interesting tank and all considered it's relatively peaceful. I wouldn't recommend starting out the way I did, buying pretty fish not knowing what they are most of the time and then learning about them, but if I would have started out the right way, with three species of fish and the correct M.-F. ratio I don't know that I would have done nearly as much reading and research on them. It's been a great learning experience. Also take into consideration that I started out buying fish in trios because I was thinking of going with an all male tank. With that in mind, it really wouldn't be so ridiculous if I'd just get rid of the females lol. So far, with the exception of the yellow labs, the red zebras, and possibly the albino socolofi, I have managed to get rid of what I thought were extra males :thumb: (pats self on back here lol even if I did run right out and buy more :eek: ). After I get the 5ft. tank, I still want to keep the 55g. running and a quarentine/hospital tank and also probably a fry grow out tank. Maybe even a 20g. for the brichardi if they pair off :roll: . There's a couple victorians I'd love to have too plus a few more species of malawi, just not sure where to put them yet unless I do stick to the plan and have one of the tanks an all male tank. That might not be a bad idea considering all the different species I want. I guess there's a limit to the number of fish you should have even in a 5ft. tank lol. :popcorn: Sorry so long.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's what I mean DJRansome, I'll probably have to do the 5 ft tank all male because even it wouldn't hold all the species I'd like to have. Then use the 55g. for maybe 3 small breeding groups.

What are the dimentions of your 6ft. tank? I can only go 5ft. long because of wall space. I know I'd like it to be 60" x 18" but not sure of the height. I guess alot depends on the height of the stand. I want to be able to reach into the bottom. I'm pretty short (5'3") and can reach into our 55g. (48"x12"x21") pretty good but I'm thinking if the tank is 18" wide, it will be harder to reach the back if it's also 21" tall. I think there is a 5ft.tank that measures only 18" tall. I just wonder if I'll miss those extra 3 inches at the top or if the being 3 inches shorter will even help with the extra width. :-?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Slash55, we must have been posting at the same time. Your tank looks awesome. Very colorful! At least you weren't trying to squeeze them into a 55g. lol :thumb:

·
Administrator
41,976 Posts
I think you need 3 five foot tanks! Especially if you want to keep some of those aggressive species you have. Glad you are having fun with the hobby!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.