Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, So I have a 55 gallon tank that has been cycling for awhile and it's almost done. I've flip flopped on my stocking list many times and I'm starting to really know what I like. I've always loved how Demasoni look but I've gone back and forth on them because of their aggression. I have also fell in love with Rusty's and Yellow Labs and I'm wondering what you guys think. I just rockscaped my tank and tried to make a lot of nooks and crannies secretly hoping I could add Demasoni, so I'm wondering if in a 55 gallon their is room for 15 demasoni, 5 rusty (1m:4fm) and 5 yellow lab (1m:4fm). Would I have better luck adding more Demasoni and just having 1 other species?

I would really appreciate some opinions on this and if I need to add more rocks or change anything in my tank in order to make this work. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
that would be pushing it a bit IMO, although it's probably possible with larger water changes and good filtration. The tank looks great btw. If I were you, I would get 15 demasoni and then 5 electric yellows or rusties, whatever you like more. I'm curious to see what other people think.
Good luck :popcorn:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could hide the filter and heater but I think the only way is to make my own background so that will have to wait awhile I think. If filtration is the only issue I could upgrade my filters but I have a feeling you're going to be right when you said sticking with 2 species. Thanks for the response. :thumb:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey man check out the Cynotilapia sp. "hara" my tank is going to be up and running in about a week and I'm for sure getting some of those, they would look really cool with some rusties if you did 7 or so of each.

·
Registered
142 Posts
:D Just watched your youtube video GTZ ... LOL, I love the music! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
treym563 said:
wondering if in a 55 gallon their is room for 15 demasoni, 5 rusty (1m:4fm) and 5 yellow lab (1m:4fm)
I think this would work. Aim for 12 demasoni once extra males have been removed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with djransom but the only thing i would add is another filter. IN ur pic it looks like u just have 1 marineland hang on,I would def get another and then u should be good to go.Good Luck!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep that's all I have on there right now, I have another biowheel filter that's a little smaller than the one that's on their now I'll add that on and hopefully that should be enough. If needed I'll get a spong filter too and hide it behind the rocks.

On another note I just talked to an internet fish supplier and they have all my fish I want to stock (rusty/lab/demasoni) but I'm hesitant about adding them all at once. If I had to do them seperatly should I get the 10 rusty's and 10 labs (I'll be thinning down to 1m:4fm of each) and then after a couple weeks get the 20 Demasoni (thinning to 12 Demasoni-thanks DJ :D )? I'm worried about the bioload on my newly cycled tank. The thinking of adding the rusty/labs first is cause they are not as aggresive so if I add the Demasoni first they might run the tank and be even more feisty if I add my rusty/lab after. I could be totally wrong though, so any input is welcome.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try to pick up a second hand cannister filter if you can instead of adding a HOB.

I agree with DJ though, I'd keep it to the magic number twelve demasoni, and maybe cut back to 1m/3f of the other two species if you are going to go with just the hang on backs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's funny you mention a canister filter because I was looking at them today. I found one that has been very highly rated and it seems really cheap for what it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade%C2%AE-Can ... 891&sr=8-1

It's a cascade canister filter rated for 100 gallons. Would I be able to get rid of both my HOB and just use that with my fish? Seems like a great deal for something reviewed so highly and less than half the price of the Fluval and other name brand ones.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
What is the gallons per hour (gph) of the filter? I like to have about 7X hourly turnover in my tanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The biggest one does 350GPH. I have bio-wheels right now, if I were to switch over to a canister filter would I just let it run with my bio-wheels until it's seeded? What's the best way to get a filter going on your already established tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I like to let the new one run for two weeks alongside of the old one. I also like to have two filters on every tank, just in case of a problem with one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts