Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some other posts in regards to fishless cycling, and have also read the library guidelines to the point where I can almost recite them - yet I still managed to have a question.

I started fishless cycle dosing back on 1/6 - ended up dosing 30mL of ammonia to my 55 gallon to get an ammonia level of approx 3-4ppm (I plan on fully stocking my aquarium at once, so I'm dosing and an elevated level). Long story short - It took about 12 days for my ammonia to drop to almost zero (had a twinge of green - not quite zero, not quite 0.25). I redosed 30mL a few times now and am at the point where at the 24 hr mark, my ammonia reading is basically zero - again, very very slight twinge of green.

So on to nitrite - the first day I was at zero ammonia within 24hr of dosing, I also checked nitrite, expecting a massive reading. To my surprise it was zero. I dosed another 30mL of ammonia, and an hour or so later tested nitrite, and there was a slight reading (maybe 0.5ppm). at the 12 hour mark, my nitrtie was at maybe 4ppm (I really cant tell a difference between 2/4/8 ppm on the color chart). Then at the 24hr mark, the nitrite had dropped back to non-detect.

So my question is - is my cycle done already?? My understanding was that the nitrite cycle can take 2-3 times longer than my ammonia cycle. My ammonia cycle took a good 3 weeks to get from 4ppm to virtually 0ppm within 24hrs, so I was a little surprised to already see my nitrite rising then dropping to zero again by the 24hr mark. Is it possible my nitrite bacteria grew simultaneously with my ammonia bacteria? Seems too quick for me to be done done, but at the same time I am getting a nitrite reading shortly after dosing, which then drops back to zero - so it has to be going somewhere.

I just dont want to jump the gun with adding fish prematurely and have a fishpocalypse.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
It seems a bit fast to me also but that is what makes fish less cycling so interesting.

What are your results for nitrate?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I too could recite the fishless cycle as mine didn't go as expected. I went on and on waiting for a result to come out as expected. I cycled for two months, the moment I could process 2-3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours with 0 nitrite, I added 15 fish in my 55 gallon. I lost 2 after a couple days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts